We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon/Evening - what to plan in or on the way to Galway?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
81 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon/Evening - what to plan in or on the way to Galway?

Hi,

We are arriving in Ireland on may 29th and are heading straight west to Galway for our first night.

We arrive at 12:15 at Dublin Airport, and are renting a car.

Accoring to Google Maps it would take us a little more than two hours to drive the 214 km from the airport to Galway. So I guess with some time to make arrangements and so on, we could be in Galway around 16:00 at earliest.

We have no plans for the day, and are searching for ideas on what to do. We could like to do a short (1-3 hour sightseeing trip (by bus, or by boat or something), but are struggling to find anything that starts late enough in the day. Do you have any suggestions?

Or what would be your recommended way to spend this day (could also be on the way to Galway, and arrive there later?)

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon/Evening - what to plan in or on the way to Galway?

How about a short diversion to Clonmacnoise ?

Or Trim to see the castle ?

You can check Shannon riverboat cruises from Athlone to see if there is one going that late in the day and stop there for a bite. Or maybe a whiskey tour at Tullamore.

Cheers,

Sunny

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon/Evening - what to plan in or on the way to Galway?

All day tours leave Galway city at 10am, 1130am and only in high season some days there are 130pm. You coould continue your driving and take a short trip out along the Atlantic Coast towards Spiddal or the N59 into Connemara, a lot of driving for one day though, maybe just have a stroll around Galway and then do your day trip the day after.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
81 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon/Evening - what to plan in or on the way to Galway?

Thanks for your replies.

rojo81: I didn't think of any day trips, but shorter trips. For example I found a 90 minute cruise on Lough Corrib with the latest departure 1630. That would have been perfect. But that gives me 4 hours to pick up my luggage, get my rental car, drive to Galway, park and find the cruise - a bit optimistic I guess.

But something like that would have been perfect.

We are driving to Connemara the next day (we're aiming at a sightseeing flight, a stop in Roundstone with the hike til Errisbeg and then go on to Clifden (where we will spend the night) and driving the Sky Road).

SunnyUnlimited: Thanks for your suggestions. Gives us some alternatives. A river cruise from Athlone would be a nice break. I am checking that out, though I'm a bit confused with the websites I find... Taking a different route, past Trim Castle and/or Clonmacnoise is also a nice backup plan!

4. Re: Afternoon/Evening - what to plan in or on the way to Galway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Galway