We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aran islands

St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
aran islands

we want to stay the night on Inismor e following a stay at Dingle but we have a rental car. From what I have seen there are no cars allowed on the Island. What are our options if we want to stay on the island and then go to the cliffs later the next day and then on to Bunratty? Is ther overnight parking near the ferry ports?

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aran islands

Yes, there are parkings in Rosseveal. Kilronan, where you arrive on the island, has plenty of B&Bs. The tourist office by the pier has a list of those it deals with, and may book a night for you. When I went there, I did not mind their list, walked 5 minutes and found myself an excellent one (not on the TO's list).

You could also drive Galway to Doolin, stay there, see the Cliffs and take a ferry from there. But the crossing is rougher, in a small boat. There is a parking lot at this ferry port as well.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,609 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aran islands

Just to clear up a misconception: Cars are certainly allowed on Inishmor. It's just not practical and very expensive to ship one over on the ferry as a tourist!

I'm trying to figure out your routing. If you're in Dingle, it makes more sense to get to Doolin and take the ferry from there to Inishmor. But the boats leave fairly early in the day, around 10:00 I think. So you'd have to get a very early start from Dingle in order to make the trip from Doolin. I'm not sure if they have other boats going over later in the day.

The ferry service from Rossaveal in Galway is more frequent during the day, but Rossaveal from Dingle would easily be a 4-5 hour trip. So I'm not sure it would be worth your time to rush all the way up there in order to get the boat.

But to answer your original question, yes, there is parking at both Doolin and Rossaveal. In Doolin it's a bit haphazard, with cars parked around the pier area and the road leading to it. Rossaveal has "real" parking lots, complete with "real" parking fees lol.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: aran islands

Thank you for the information. It cleared everything up. Now we just need to decide which place to stay. The Man of Aran looked good but I read alot about the ones by the pier too. Thank God, only one or two decisions left to make and then the trip is planned! Thanks for the help!

4. Re: aran islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Galway