We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney to Galway - suggestions?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney to Galway - suggestions?

During the first week in October we will be driving from Dublin (1 night) to Killarney (2 nights) to Galway (2 nights) before driving to Dublin for one more night and then flying home. We booked a package deal before I had really started researching so unfortunately I can't change the cities we're staying in or the number of nights we're staying.

I think I have a pretty good idea of how we want to spend our time between Dublin and Killarney but I'm looking for suggestions on the second half of our trip. I'm trying not to spread our time too thin and I don't want to be rushing around like a maniac. We are planning on the Gap of Dunloe while we're in Killarney but I would also love to see the Dingle Peninsula, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, the Aran Islands and Galway itself. Obviously we can't do all of this in the 2 days we have before heading back to Dublin so I guess we'll just have to come back! :) But I would love any suggestions/feedback on what we should focus on for this trip.

Thanks!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney to Galway - suggestions?

Hi Heidi,

Yep, you're definitely packing it all in. I'd suggest leaving Dublin early enough to try do the Gap of Dungloe on your way to Killarney. Then that leaves you free on your 2nd day in KIllarney to do a bit of the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula, heading back to Killarney that night. Then take the scenic route from Killarney to Galway, taking in the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher to Galway, look up the Wild Atlantic Way. That leaves the full day in Galway to do the Aran Islands, then back to Galway that night, ready for Dublin the next day.

It is a LOT of driving and going but it'll be worth it to get everything you want to see! Just make sure you leave yourselves some time to spend wandering around Killarney and Galway, especially Quay Street in Galway. It's so lovely, although come prepared, it probably will rain a lot in October!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney to Galway - suggestions?

Thank you for your feedback! I think we decided to stop at the Rock of Cashel on our way to Killarney from Dublin to break up the drive and then spend the rest of the day exploring Killarney. We'll plan on spending the next day doing the Gap of Dunloe and then exploring Killarney some more. If I've picked up anything from these forums it's that we should take things slowly and leave plenty of time to wander and explore. I especially don't want to rush the Dingle Peninsula so we'll have to plan another trip when we can stay there for two or three nights :)

For the second half of our trip I think we're just going to drive straight from Killarney to Galway and spend the rest of the day exploring Galway. The following day we'll head out to Inishmore. We booked a room at Mary Joe's B&B for that night so that we can really take our time and enjoy the island. We'll take the ferry back the next day and then head on to Dublin for our last night.

I really hope that by cutting a few things out we'll have the time to enjoy the places we go that much more!

3. Re: Killarney to Galway - suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Galway