We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo 20 y/o female traveler

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo 20 y/o female traveler

Hello guys,

I'm a 20 year old female American student but I attend university in Rome. I have been traveling around europe for a few years now but have yet to do a solo trip. I was thinking about doing one this October either in the middle of the month or at the end (Halloween) to Galway. I've heard nothing but great things about it. I have a good head on my shoulders, so I'm not too worried safety wise. But, besides having a good time, I would really like to see the sites.

Do you guys recommend Galway to be my first solo trip? Is this a good time of year? Will I have a hard time navigating the city or meeting people while I'm there for a few nights? Should I do a tour group while there? Any advice or tips would be helpful as I would like to plan this trip soon! Thanks in advance!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

Have you worked out how to get there?

Galway from Rome is going to be a bit of a pain as the only Irish airport with flights to Rome at the moment is Dublin and that involves 3 hours on a bus after arriving. If that doesn't daunt you, then I'd say the following.

Do you guys recommend Galway to be my first solo trip?

It has a lot of advantages for a first solo trip. It's English-speaking and fairly safe.

Is this a good time of year?

The weather isn't likely to be great as October is Ireland's wettest month. You'll also find that tours and some public transport to tourist areas near Galway doesn't run in October. Against that, it will be the liveliest time of year for student activity, so could be a fun time to visit.

Will I have a hard time navigating the city or meeting people while I'm there for a few nights?

Provided you get a central hotel/hostel, you will find everywhere you want to go in Galway walkable. The only exception may be a visit to Salthill, which has a regular citybus service. There's no harm in having a map though, but still, if you can navigate Rome, Galway will be a breeze.

If you want to meet people, I'd suggest staying in a hostel. When I was younger, I found them a great way to meet other solo travelers.

Should I do a tour group while there?

Check what is running in October! If you want to visit Connemara or The Burren/Cliffs of Moher, it may be advisable. On the other hand, the best choice for the Aran Islands would be to take the ferry over (you'll need a bus to Rossaveal; make sure you check the timetable of buses and ferries) and hire a bicycle over there.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

Op, Galway would be ideal for you, its a city with around 25000 students attending university/college. You will meet lots of people if you stay in a hostel, there are free walking tours of the city and that company also do a pub crawl at night. Not sure what 'Blackgreen' is on about but all the tour companies run tours to Connemara and the Burren all year long so that wont be an issue, look up Galway Tour Co, Lally Tours and Healy Tours, all are very similar and all come recommended.

Rome, Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

The ride doesn't daunt me at all, just a part or the adventure! Thanks for all your help!

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

For the buses to Galway check out Citylink and Gobus, both run from the airport with one stop in Dublin city centre and then direct to Galway city, the closest hostel to Galway coach station is Snoozles. Kinlay, Sleepzone and Galway city hostel are a short walk.

Rome, Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

Thank you so much for your help! I am looking into it now!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

Galway was invented for folk your age.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

It also keeps folk my age young :-))

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

And me too.

Come and enjoy.

9. Re: Solo 20 y/o female traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:17