We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Galway?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Galway?

If we rent a car, is it possible to do a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher? If not., what are some other ideas for a day trip from Galway with a rental car?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,534 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

Sure. The Cliffs are only 90 minutes or so from Galway. When I was there in June I left Galway at mid-morning, stopped at Dungaire Castle for a bit, stopped at the Poulnabrone Dolmen for a bit, had lunch in Doolin, drove past the Cliffs of Moher (been there done that, didn't stop), popped into Lahinch for a pint and watched the World Cup for a bit, and headed back to Galway via Ennis. Got back to Galway around 7:00. So that's one option.

Connemara would be another, driving out to Clifden, or Roundstone, Recess, Leenane, Connemara National Park, Kylemore, Cong...as far as Westport if you're ambitious, as far as Knock if you're religious lol...

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

If you decide to see Connemara, I strongly suggest to leave early AM, if you want to have sufficient time to see and stop to take pics. Do it anti-clockwise, following the coast as much as you can until Clifden, (little roads leading to the very very nice bays take time) and up to Leenane and Cong. Driving is slow and easy, and there is a lot to see.

On your way to the Cliffs, Kinvarra has a welcoming castle at its very entrance, it is a nice little town. If you would like to buy Irish CDs and have a real good coffee or a pastry, there is a cafe in Doolin that sells a formidable choice of CDs (lots of trad, but not exclusively). It has a thatched roof and a patio. It is called Magnetic Music.

Good pubs in Doolin: McGann's www.esatclear.ie/~mcgannsdoolin/ and McDermott's www.mcdermottspubdoolin.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

Please excuse my lack of directional knowledge, but is Connemara the area you drive through to get to the Cliffs or is it in another direction from the Cliffs altogether?

Is it possible to do both on this day? I would say we would leave Galway around 8 or 9am...

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

Connemara is north and west of Galway, let's say the area between Galway, Westport and Clifden. It is of outstanding beauty.

The Cliffs of Moher are south of Galway on the edge of the area called the Burren which is also very beautiful and completely different from any other area in Ireland.

You cannot visit both areas in one day, both deserve at least one day each.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

So now for the toughest question. If it were impossible to do both, which would it be?

Right now I'm leaning towards the COM...

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

Connemara without a doubt.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

For the beauty of wild Ireland, I would choose Connemara. I could only see half of what I wanted to see, since I left Galway at 10:30 AM, and it took a while to find out a proper way to get out of the city (had never driven in Ireland at that point!) and was obliged to be back in town before 5; we stopped about 45 minutes for lunch, and in many places en route. If you ever change your mind once you're there and tour Connemara, I highly recommend a mealand/or a pint at O'Dowd's, in Roundstone.

But if you're inclined to go to COM, then do so. A shorter day of driving, since you're likely not to stay very long there, I predict, and see Kinvarra on your way to the cliffs, have dinner and a few pints in Doolin. There is live music in all the pubs in the evening, gigs start at 9:30.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

I would also suggest Connemara. For routes around the area you could have a look at my post to Freia at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186610-i486-k7793…

Another good pub in Roundstone is the Shamrock right across the road from Eldon's Hotel. There is also the "Craft Village" just beyond the village with some nice craft shops.

You could spend several days in Connemara and not get bored.

The Burren and the Cliffs of Moher are, of course, also worth visiting but I personally would prefer Connemara.

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

I spent 3 nights based in Galway and did day trips to COM, (actually visited on way to Galway from Shannon airport,) and Connemara. Connemara is the clear winner in my opinion.Besides the charming towns in the area previously mentioned, Connemara has a National Park and a visit to Kylemore Abbey is a must.

I also wanted to throw in the idea of Aran Islands for a visit. This was another highlight for us while based in Galway.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Galway?

Great suggestions! Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Galway