We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Ireland

London
14 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Ireland

Hi, I'm planning on finishing off my 2 years in London with a trip to Ireland in early-mid October. I will probably have about 9-10days but can't decide where to go, what to do. I've been to Dublin and not too interested in going back, so was thinking of basing myself in Galway and touring out from there.

Problem is I have been advised public transport is terrible and that I should hire a car- I have only driven once in the past 2 years and haven't driven a manual in 6years! Most of the car rental places i've looked up only have compact cars in manual- not sure I'd be too confident with that.

So my questions are- If I was to base myself in Galway are there many day tours (Even overnight tours) from there? Is 10 days too much time on the West Coast? I definately want to go to Athenry and Clare Island other than that I have no idea what to do or how to get around to everything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

London
14 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 10 days in Ireland

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for all their help!

I have just booked my flight (thats a start) Dep October 11th and return October 20th.

I think I'm just going to jump on the train from Dublin, arrive in Galway and wing it once i'm there, i'm not good at planning and I'm just driving myself crazy trying to sort out an itinerary!

Cahcott- thanks for the advice about car hire, i'll wait and see how things are with public t/port and day tours and if they dont suit my needs then i'll hire a car (online of course!) I think i'll skip the Paddywagon tours etc. haven't heard great things about them- I prefer to try do things on my own anyway- that way i can spend my time how I want to.

I'm also aware that "Fields of Athenry" is fictional - doesn't stop me from loving it! :)

Thanks again to you all, I may be back asking more questions as time gets closer, but for now I'm going to sit back and count down the day until I finish work!

Cheers.

12. Re: 10 days in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations