We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Hi, I have been reading alot of posts. They are all so helpful and interesting.

We are landing at Shannon (Friday, Sept.11) then going to Doolin for 2 days.Either Roadford House or Dalys House. We will tour the area close around there.

Then on Sunday we want to either drive to Dingle (taking the Ferry) and staying there,hopefully at Emlagh Lodge, Sun. and Mon. nights.

Then on to Kenmare, Maybe staying in Clonakilty, Glendine Irish Home or Bay View House, Tues. night.

Then on to Kenmare, staying Wed. and Thurs. nights, hopefully at Virginias. Of course touring all those areas.

Then we will drive back to Bunratty (we fly out of Shannon Sat. at 9am.- We will stay fri. night at either Dunaree Guest House or Bunratty Castle Mews.

My main question is: Are Sun. and Mon. in Dingle the best days,are the shops, pubs, sites, etc. all open for business those days. Also I see the marathon will be held that Sat., but it shouldnt be so busy by Sun. Or should we turn our trip around and go from Doolin to Kenmare first, and spend Wed. and Thurs. in Dingle? Or does it matter in the least?

Also how does this all sound?

I love planning our trip and am so excited at all I see abour Ireland. Thanks Gail

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Gail, I am a bit confused about your itinerary:

"Then on to Kenmare, Maybe staying in Clonakilty, Glendine Irish Home or Bay View House, Tues. night.

Then on to Kenmare, staying Wed. and Thurs. nights, hopefully at Virginias. Of course touring all those areas."

Clonakilty is nowhere near Kenmare but a good drive away! Why go to Kenmare, then Clonakilty and return to Kenmare the next day?

The shops, pubs, sites in Dingle will all be open during the time you have planned to spend there.

I think Doolin to Dingle would be better rather than Doolin to Kenmare.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Well, no wonder you were confused- I should have reread my e-mail.I meant to say- We want to drive from Dingle to Clonakilty. Stay in Clonakilty on Tues. night, then travel on to Kenmare for the next night. That would work, woundnt it? Or is that out of the way. Thanks for answering - so I think we will go to Dingle from Doolin.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Gail, thanks very much for clearing that up! I should have guessed this from your post. Phew.

Of course, this would work but I would suggest then to go to Clonakilty from Doolin and to Kenmare from Clonakilty and to Dingle from Kenmare. It would work the other way around as well but this is the way I would do it. It's up to you.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

In the middle of September, if we left the one night free (not do Clonakilty) could we find a B&B without booking ahead, do you think?

Does anyone have any insite on the B&Bs I chose.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

You shouldn't have any problems finding a B&B in the middle of September.

Sorry, haven't stayed at any of the B&Bs you mention.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Thanks Clauds, I think we will just scout out a nice village while we are touring around Kenmare.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Sneem on the Ring of Kerry is a very pretty village but I haven't stayed there myself so I can't comment on accommodation.

Have a look at

www.myguideireland.com/sneem (not a great website but might give you an idea about the place)

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Thanks, Sneem looks and sounds great. I think that may be the place we will want to stay for our final night. Then we will drive back to Bunratty.We are getting a GPS, so hopefully that will help us with good directions all over. I booked all our other nights now in Doolin, Dingle, and Kenmare. All these places want to be paid in cash. Are there plenty of ATMs in the towns. When we fly into Shannon is that a good place to exchange money or should we wait till we get to Doolin?

Thanks for your help

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
368 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

There is no ATM in Doolin, nor in Lisdoonvarna (which is a sore-spot with quite a few folks). If you're going to get cash on your way to Doolin - stop in Ennistymon.

There is an ATM in the Visitor's Center at the Cliffs, FYI.

There are at least two Bank ATM's in Dingle, and there's also one in the Supervalu.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which days to do - Doolin to Dingle or Doolin to Kenmare

Sorry, paga, can't tell you about ATMs in Shannon airport or in Doolin. Maybe you should post a new topic about this.