We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it a mistake not to plan????

florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Is it a mistake not to plan????

Hi. I am travelling to Ireland for the 1st time next month. This will be the first " real vacation " for my husband and I- celebrating our 10 yr annv.

I have noticed that everyone seems to have their trips planned out for every hour of the days they are there...Is this really necessary? We have a general idea of things that we want to see while we are there, but no set plans. Am I making a big mistake? Will we regret not having everything set in stone ahead of time?

We will be flying in on the 16th and out on the 27th, renting a car in Shannon. Staying at the Park Inn for 3 nights then heading to our cottage in Fossa for the remainder of our trip ( with the exception of a hotel the night before our flight out ). My travel route is to head south along the coast towards our cottage, explore from there, go into Cork one day, then probably head north to Shannon on the day before our flight via Cork again.

Am I crazy?

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

No you do not have to plan anything at all.

There is a lot to be said for waking up late and lazing through what to do for the day over breakfast.

We do not have parks like Disney where you really need to be there by 8am to get a good space and be in the queue to get in.

Most of the people coming in here are highly organised to the point of OCD. I know I have it and I am member or another website where the majority of people are completely opposite to here whereby most questions are "I want a last minute holiday for next week, where can I find one?"

You are staying at the Park Inn in Shannon? That seems a terribly long time to spend in a hotel airport. There are no facilities nearby and you are within an airport complex.

Is there any possibility of being able to move your accomodation from the Park Inn?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

As Bertie2 has said, it is not at all crazy to not plan your vacation. I would suggest you do some research on the kinds of things you might like to see, and have the accommodation structure decided. Beyond that though decide on the day what you want to do, taking account of the weather and what you feel like doing.

I can't think of any attractions that need prior booking and there is nothing nicer than to be able to just stop and look at the scenery, or go for a walk, sit in a cafe or pub or explore somewhere unexpected, without worrying about the schedule.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

I have to say, one of the joys of a holiday is just pointing the car and seeing where it takes you...

Or sitting down with a glass or two of wine and an atlas and planning your trip the night before.

Fossa is lovely, make sure you visit the local church with the panoramic window.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

With the exception of the Park Inn it sounds lovely. May I suggest that when you get to your cottage you go into Killarney to the tourist office? They will give you magazines, maps and brochures about the area. You can glimpse through them to decide what appeals to you.

You are not crazy. The most important things are planned already. Once you are in Ireland go with the flow.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

I am not ashamed to say that I'm a bit of a plan freak though certainly not for every hour of the day and I do like to relax too.

September however is a good month here as it's not peak season at all and you should be able to get accomms on spec, though I note you already have your accomm organised which is good.

Your trip sounds very relaxing and I am glad to see you have two 'long stay' areas.

Fossa in Kerry (I presume) fantastic central location for touring all of County Kerry and West Cork.

They told us we would have a heatwave in August, that didn't happen so I bet it will be in September.

Enjoy

09/09/09 09:09

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

SInce you have planned for a roof over your head and a car to get you around you have everything you need to enjoy your time in Ireland - well maybe you will need your ATM card to have some money to gas up the car and buy a few things.

Have a look at http://www.killarney.ie/ to see what nearby Killarney has to offer.

One of you guys would not be into fly fishing would you? as the European Fly Fishing Championships will be on in the area during your stay. Don't worry - it won't be mad busy with barbed hooks flying every which way but I think it might be nice to get a boat out from Ross Castle to see the experts in action.

If you can think of any specific (or not so specific) question feel free to post it and you should get a prompt answer.

florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

Thank you all so much for your reassurance! Of course now I am concerned about where we will be staying the first few nights there....I was unaware that it was in the airport complex!! I would have never choosen to stay there had I know that, not sure if I can change that at this point. :(

Could any of you suggest a nice place to spend our last night there? Our flight out leaves at 11:30 am- and we will need to drop off the rental car on the way. Something nice, but not expensive since we are stretching ourselves thin for this trip.

Thanks again!

florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

One more thing...

Bryno- I noticed that you are in Cork. So I was wondering if I could ask you a few things. We will be going in to Cork- mostly because my husbands family was from there. ( Cork City we think ) ONe of the things that we would like to do is go to the dog races. His Great Great Uncle was very found of going to the track there, and we would like to go place a bet or two in his memory. BUT I noticed that the races are only at night- so would you know how long it will take us to get from our cottage in Fossa to the track? Should we consider making overnight arrangements for the trip there?

THanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

The Oakwood Arms in Shannon is lovely, they have doubles from €90 in September http://www.oakwoodarms.com/rates.php

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it a mistake not to plan????

I agree with Bean. The Oakwood is the first nice hotel you will meet once you exit the Airport.

The Park Inn is literally in the long term car park for want of a better description and overlooks the access road to the airport to the rear and the hire-car car park to the front.

Try even heading into Bunratty.

http://www.bunrattycastlehotel.com/

Or as far as Limerick - 25 minutes drive