We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

St Louis
2 posts
Save Topic
Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

Some of our group are taking hte boat out to the Skelligs, but one is staying behind. Where would be the best place to stay so our non-boater can have a pleasant but not too isolated day of it. Killarney is a bit too much of a drive in the morning to get to Portmagee so we prefer not to stay there. Thanks, BG

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

It really depends on what your friend would like to do.

Caherciveen is a nice town, and has interest in terms of Daniel O'Connell the historic figure and also the barracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahirciveen

You could easily spend a few hours wandering about the town and having a nice cup of coffee.

Waterville is close to the sea and is much quieter than Caherciveen http://www.myguideireland.com/waterville

If your friend wanted to walk on the beach and commune with nature, Waterville would be far better than Caherciveen. If your friend is a golfer, then Waterville is the place to go.

I'd be inclined to recommend Caherciveen first, then Waterville, then Portmagee. But these recommendations are on the basis of absolutely no knowledge of your friend ;o) Everything is subjective.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

There may be some reason why your friend will not travel out to Skelligs. If there is not any obvious reason, I would strongly encourage him/her to take that trip too. It's very special.

If your friend is a walker then I suggest the following: Walk from Portmagee onto Valencia Island (via the bridge) walk down to the bottom of the Island - Knightstown and then take the 5 minute foot ferry from there to Caherciveen, where s/he could meet you after your scellig trip.

Whatever happens, your friend should have something organised because 4 hours just doing nothing will be a very long day out.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

Bryno,

May I know how long is this walk that you described above from Portmagee to Carhiciveen via Valentia? And how far is the bus stop for route # 279 and #280 from there, after the walk?

Is it safe for a female to walk alone?

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

Yes, I'd love to know how long that walk would take as well. After our Skellig trip next month we'll have several hours in the late afternoon/early evening to do some exploring and weren't sure how to fill that time. We'll have probably seen all of Cahersiveen there is to see the night before the Skellig tour so it would be nice to be able to see more of the Portmagee/Valencia area and then be able to get back to Cahersiveen under our own power later in the evening.

If it turns out the walk would be a bit too much at the end of the day, approximately how much would a taxi cost from Portmagee/Valencia back to Cahersiveen?

Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

dtanel.

It's just under a 5 mile (7Km) walk from Portmagee to Knightstown on Valencia Island. Then you get the ferry across to Cahersiveen town.

This walk would take me about 90minutes at a good pace. The bus stop is right in Cahersiveen, I guess about a 5 minute walk from the ferry stop.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

Littleengine, see my distance post above re Valencia.

Regarding taxi from Portmagee/Valencia to Cahersiveen. You won't find one easily, so best thing would be to have a few phone numbers. Here is one for McCarthys taxi in Cahersiveen 087 2398280

Kennedy Taxi - Portmagee 087 2648646.

The 10 mile(ish) trip from Portmagee to Cahersiveen will not cost you very much. (maybe €20)

Worst case scenario - just stick your thumb out and one of those many decent Kerry folk will pick you up I'm sure.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

littleengine, may you please share your experience after your trip to Skellig and the walk via Knightstown to Carhiciveen? I would be more than interested to read it before my own trip. And have a great time in Ireland!!

And thank you all for the replies.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

Bryno,

As always, thanks for the helpful advice. As long as we've still got enough steam left to power us home after climbing Skellig, I'd love to give that walk a try and will definitely post about the experience.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

What about Derrynane House, Gardens and National Park near Caherdaniel? heritageireland.ie/en/…

The house is historic and interesting, nice gardens and beautiful beaches. If the tide is right there are islands offshore that can be explored. I wouldn't mind spending 4 hours there myself. It's been a while.

Laois, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterville, Portmagee or Cahirciveen for four hours?

I can only speak for Portmagee, it is a small little village, but its beautiful, you can walk across the bridge to the heritage centre, which is all about the skelligs. Its beautiful but I'm a tad biased as my grandfather built the replica bee-hive hut. :)

For a great lunch pop into the Moorings pub.