We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

I'm seeking help to plan the best drive from Kenmare to Dingle with stops along the way including a day plan for Dingle. I know of the recommended route planners (AA/Michelin/etc), but I'm looking to piece together highlights on the way, then go right into the Slea Head Drive before checking into our B&B.

We'll depart Kenmare (our full day there will likely be spent on Berea Penninsula) for Dingle on a Tuesday morning in early April.

Since we're only spending 1 night in Dingle, we want to make the most of our travels to Dingle and the rest of our full day there. We'll depart the next morning enroute to Galway City via Cliffs of Moher and the Burren.

So far I've received a tip to drive via Moll's Gap and Ladies View (overlooking Macgillycuddy Reeks). Should we try to fit in a portion of the ROK since we don't plan to drive the full ring? Or how about a stop in Killarney Town or the National Park? Or should we just take the most direct route and get to Dingle faster?

Please share your recommendations or favorite experiences.

Thank You!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

Since you wish to maximize your time in Dingle it would be best to take the shorter route of Kenmare, Moll's Gap, Ladies View, Killarney and then onto Milltown, Castlemaine, Inch and Dingle. You don't have to spend much time at Moll's Gap or Ladies View but you may wish to stop at Torc Waterfall (on the right as you drive into Killarney) as it is only a short walk from the small parking lot on the roadside. Also, further on on the left is the entrance to Muckross House. You don't have to visit the house (1 hour min) but you could go for a quick stroll around the gardens and down to the lake and get a bite to eat at the restaurant. Also, further on the main road again and again on the left is an entrance to Muckross Abbey. The parking lot for this is just across the street from The Muckross Park Hotel. It is a short stroll from there to the Abbey. Or from the house you could hire a jaunting cart to take you to the Abbey and back if you wanted to save your legs and spend a little longer in the park. At this stage you will probably be wishing to head off to Dingle but if you have an extra half hour you could head down to Ross Castle. The road for this is a left at the second set of traffic lights. You can park close to the Castle and go for a short stroll by the lake.

I would not opt for the longer coastal portion of the ROK as you seem to wish to get to Dingle early and this route via Killarney is on the inland portion of the ROK so you will be seeing some of it - the better half if you ask me.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

I'd prefer the Kenmare to Killarney via Moll's Gap route. It's a stunning drive and easy. You can take in Ladies View and Torq Waterall along the way. There is nothing to stop for in Killarney town I know of so continue straight on to Dingle via the fastest route. A stretch along R561 approaching Dingle will be beautiful. If you get an early start you can easily get to Dingle for lunch to energize for the Slea Head drive in the afternoon and back in Dingle town for dinner and the pub life. Wish for good weather.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

Thank you tonyirish and beamish12, this is very helpful information.

We'll get an early start, visit some of the sites along the way and pray for good weather to make the most of our day in Dingle.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

Killarney National Park and Dingle Peninsula are both fairly compact. Dividing your day between them is the challenge. You can't go wrong either way. Both are unforgettable for different reasons.

5. Re: Best Scenic Route from Kenmare to Dingle, Plus Day Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 02:20