We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-Ireland Vacation

Metro St. Louis
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London-Ireland Vacation

My husband and I are planning a trip to London and Ireland. Our plan is to fly from New York to London and stay 2 - 3 nights. Then we were going to fly to Ireland and do a 7 night self-drive tour. I have multiple questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to book this trip?

Is the travel site "Europeandestinations" my easiest/safest option?

Is flying from London to Dublin best, or should we take the train?

Any information or usefool websites would be appreciated!

Thank you

Alicia

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London-Ireland Vacation

I am pretty sure that there isn't a train from London to Dublin. I believe the best way to get there is to fly. The flights are reasonable as well. I fly from Shannon to Stansted last year for less than $30 round trip on Ryan Air. But I was also just carrying a back pack.

One word of advice... Do not rent a car and attempt to drive in Dublin. Trust me!! Take a bus or taxi into the city, spend a day or two tops, go back to the airport to pick up your car and spend the rest of the time visiting places you would like to see.

Fly to London then Dublin and then out of Shannon. I think that would give you the best bang for your buck...

Enjoy! I loved London and am in love with Ireland ~

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London-Ireland Vacation

Hi, The OP may be referring to the train+ferry type travel package, which you can take from London to Dublin.

Aer Lingus also often has cheap flights from London to Dublin.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London-Ireland Vacation

Given your limited timescale, train and ferry from London to Dublin may be too time consuming. You are probably better flying.

You need to look at where you want to visit in Ireland and then look at the air routes which best suit your plans. You can travel to several locations in Ireland from London - though note that there are London 5 airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Stansted and Luton) , all of which have routes to various parts of Ireland. You also need to decide if you are flying back to NY directly from Ireland or via London. If directly from Ireland, you could plan on flying directly from Dublin or Shannon which are the 2 Irish airports with direct flights to NY.

A typical itinerary picking up the "must-sees" could include flying to Dublin, staying one or two nights, then picking up a car and heading southwest to West Cork or Kerry for 3 nights (visiting Killarney, Dingle etc) then north to Galway for 2 nights (visiting the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher) before looping back south to Shannon and flying home.

This is a very rough itinerary but maybe gives you something to work with.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London-Ireland Vacation

If you've time, the train and ferry journey from London to Dublin is an experience in itself, travelling through 3 countries (England, Wales and Ireland) in one day, past some great scenery past Chester city Walls, the north Wales coastline, Conway Castle and Anglesey then across the Irish Sea.

The best service leaves Euston station at 09:10 Mon-fri, 08:50 Sats, 08:15 Suns by modern air-conditioned intercity train with WiFi to Holyhead in around 3 hours 40 minutes, connecting with Irish Ferries' superb luxury superferry Ulysses sailing at 14:10 and arriving Dublin Ferrport at 17:25.

A combined train and ferry ticket costs £33, about $50, and covers both the train and ferry. The price is fixed, it's the same even if you buy it on the day at the station. In contrast, a train ticket from central London to Stansted airport is £21, two-thirds of the price all the way to Dublin!

You can buy tickets at www.thetrainline.com, just enter London Euston to Dublin port (Irish Ferries)

Edited: 06 August 2011, 15:45
5. Re: London-Ireland Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:19