We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Costa Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Hey Ireland TA's-My husband and I want to go from Dingle Peninsula to Belfast in mid-Sept. Can you tell me the fastest/easiest way to get there (fly from Kerry, Shannon, Galway)? We don't have a car. Thanks so much. Cathy

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Hi, I don't think you can fly to Belfast from within the Republic, any more.

From Dingle, take the bus to Killarney, then the train to Dublin Heuston. From there, you'll have to commute to either Connolly Station (train to Belfast) or Busaras bus station for the express bus.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

You can also take the bus from Dingle to Tralee - from there you can catch the train to Dublin Heuston.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Trintraveller is correct - there are no air services to Belfast from locations within the Republic. Train to Dublin and then train (or bus) from Dublin to Belfast is the only realistic option.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

There is an option to fly to Dublin from Kerry and connect with a bus to take you to Belfast.http://www.kerryairport.com/timetable.html#1

The airport website says: "Bus Service

Outside the main terminal is a Bus Terminus with bus services available directly from Kerry Airport to Tralee, Killarney and Limerick linking into the Bus Eireann network. Tickets for all bus services may be purchased onboard the bus."

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Just hop on a train from Tralee or Killarney to Dublin Heuston station, taxi or LUAS tram to Dublin Connolly station, train every hour or two to Belfast.

Check times and fares at www.irishrail.ie and simply buy a ticket at the station no reservation necessary.

Then get a glass of wine or a Guiness from the buffet car, sit back and enjoy that scenery.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 09:35
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

You can fly from Kerry to Dublin www.ryanair.com & then bus or rail as previously suggested to Belfast.The train journey to Belfast is nice & thats the way I would travel.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

I'm amazed that a flight even exists for such a simple short distance trip within such a small country, almost like going from Manhattan to Newark New Jersey by driving to JFK, flying to Newark and driving to central Newark. Quite extravagant and unnecessary to fly for such a short trip, especially when youd find it a very enjoyable overland journey. Youd probably spend more time waiting around at airports than in the air...

Edited: 10 August 2011, 13:32
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Its approx 3.5 hours by car from Farranfore in Co.Kerry to Dublin,without stops,a bus would take much longer if you consider the stops it would make.

IMO a flight would be much simpler !

Costa Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Thanks SO much everyone. I now have options! Really appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation From Kerry to Belfast

Hi, If you're flying into DUB, you can just catch the express bus to Belfast, right at the airport. Then you'll be in Belfast in about 2 hrs.