We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

This may be a clever money making scam by Europcar:

As is completely standard with all car hire, Europcar at Kerry airport took a swipe of my credit card prior to the hire for deposit purposes. I returned the car incident free at the end of the hire and went on my way.

Upon checking my credit card statement on-line after arriving home I discovered that there was an £8 shortfall in the refund. Further investigation revealed that this was because Europcar took payment in Stirling and refunded in Euro, using their own interpretation of the exchange rate.

Normally, car hire deposit never shows on my statements as they are simply 'holding deposits' so I can only conclude that this was a deliberately sharp practise to increase revenue.

I contacted my credit card provider who immediately refunded the difference.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

Did you contact Europcar and ask them what happened?

Without speaking to the car hire company for their side of the story, your "conclusion" may well be flawed.

With regard to the "immediate refund", I'm assuming you asked for a chargeback on your account. This normally takes roughly 4-8 weeks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

This is common practice with Europecar (I used to hire vans from them in Limerick to cross to the UK& back, the only people who allow/ed this from this side).

Not defending the practice but Europe car make nothing at all from this transaction it is simply the fluctuation in the exchange rate and the buy/sell rates of Flexco or whoever handle the transaction. I have requested the refund in Sterling or on a couple of occasions made a few quid taking it in euro.

It is also common practice with many other companies so readers be aware.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

Thanks for that Tony, although I have worked out that they used an exchange rate of 1.06 for the initial conversion when my CC rate is 1.23. This 'fluctuation' seems a bit excessive for a destination that isn't an unstable third world country!

For further information / discussion follow my post on the Air Travel Forum. I also posted it there as it is relevant globally (as Tony has already pointed out).

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

Although this posting is relevant globally, Trip Advisor has deemed it inappropriate for the Air Travel Forum and have deleted it. However, all other input from other posters still remain and may be of interest.

5. Re: Beware hidden / unauthorised car hire charges - Europcar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:17