We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Kerry advice - where to stay and when

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
5 nights in Kerry advice - where to stay and when

I'm travelling to Ireland and will conclude my trip in County Kerry for 5 nights, Wed July 3 to Sun July 7. I am travelling solo - staying in hostels and using public transit.

I'd like to stay in Dingle, Killarney and Cahirsiveen or Portmagee in order to visit Skellig Michael. How should I divide my time - Dingle or Killarney at the weekend? More than one night in Cahirsiveen/Portmagee to ensure a good sailing day for Skellig?

Advice appreciated.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Kerry advice - where to stay and when

It is peak holiday season, so the choice between weekend and weekdays wont't make difference in terms of things to do.

In Dingle the Hideout Hostel is in the middle of town, with a great budget restaurant An Canteen next door. You will need to travel by bus to and from Tralee for Dingle. There is very limited public transport west of Dingle town, so you will need to take a tour or bike hire is available. Consider a boat trip out to the Great Blasket also.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Kerry advice - where to stay and when

As above, Rural bus's are scarce and I would opt for mainly Killarney which is a reasonable transport hub and look into Cycle hire, its a great way to get around if you are fit and up for it.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Kerry advice - where to stay and when

The bus service between Tralee and Dingle is reasonably frequent 4-5 per day, and quite efficient

4. Re: 5 nights in Kerry advice - where to stay and when

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:17