We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

Hi everyone,

I need some advice for my 7 day vacation that's coming up in two weeks. I wouldn't normally ask for any advice, but Ireland is my top dream destination... and it's happening--soon.

I planned our itinerary myself ( Dublin-Kilkenny-Kenmare-Adare-Trim-Dublin). All of the B&B's and hotels are reserved. My husband will be driving... a lot. Ireland seems so beautiful, we want to see so much, but with so little time.

I started reading some of the other great forums and advice that others posted concerning the Ring of Kerry vs The Dingle Peninsula. (seems like the Dingle Peninsula may be more recommended)

Then, I started thinking about the fact that my husband will be driving and will be missing out on much of the great scenery. You can't really relax and enjoy when you are driving (especially with us traveling clockwise through the ROK, and we aren't used to driving on the other side of the road)..

My husband and I love hiking and outdoors, but we also do love historical sites/ruins, and we can definitely appreciate a spectacular view...

I see that Killarney National Park is ranked so highly among reviewers. I am thinking that perhaps our half a day would be better spent skipping the scenic drives and visiting the National park instead? Does anyone think this would be a mistake?

We are looking at leaving Kenmare at 8 am and need to be in Adare for about 5pm, so the schedule is pretty tight.

If we go to the National park, is there something specifically memorable. A specific hike? Picturesque spot?

Here's the question-

I would especially appreciate the advice from anyone who has visited all three: Ring of Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula, and the National Park--

If you had to pick one, where would go?

please and thank you :)

Edited: 25 August 2013, 16:56
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

well, if i had to pick one it would be Dingle, but I think you would be better off sticking to the National Park and Killarney, you just dont sensibly have the time for anything else, the drive from Kenmare itself to Killarney is pretty spectacular, dont rush it, then you can spend lunchtime in and around Killarney town, see Muckross, the lakes, Torc Waterfall, take a trip on the jaunting cars, and on to Adare.

I am sure you will be better off actually experiencing Killarney rather than whizzing past anywhere else.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

One of very favorite highlights was the Gap of Dunloe. We took a jaunting cart which took us about an hour and a half. But there were people hiking as well. It is on the outside of the southwest part of Killarney National Park. It is spectacular.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

As Fuchsia has said, the N71 between Kenmare is spectacularly beautiful. In Michelin parlance I think its worth a journey.

Muckross Gardens are lovely and there are a number of hiking trails that you can follow. You can walk from the house to Torc Waterfall (the path takes you under the N71). To the left of Torc, there is a series of steps that can be climbed.

Alternatively you can walk from Muckross Gardens to Muckross Abbey.

All of these walks are well signposted.

Between Kenmare and Muckross there are also some lovely places where you can stop and park your car and walk. One of these leads to the Meeting of the Waters which is a beautiful spot www.theringofkerry.com/meeting-of-the-waters

It should take you about 90 minutes to get from Killarney to Adare.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,465 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

Kenmare/Dingle/Adare is not practical. much as I love Dingle, it's not do-able unless you plan to whizz round the country at breakneck speed with no stops /

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

I have visited all three, and with your timescales I agree with Bean 100%. You will experience a fantastic scenic drive between Kenmare and Killarney, so give the driver a bit of a break and stretch your legs in the lovely Killarney National Park.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

The internet, what a great thing.. How else could I have gotten some really helpful advice from random, nice strangers on the other side of the world.

I'm feeling really good about changing my itinerary at the last minute now. I'm so glad to know that the drive to Killarney National Park will still be "fantastic" and "spectacular".. It's unfortunate that we won't be driving through the Ring of Kerry or Dingle. It just means that we'll have to visit Ireland again in the future.. :)

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses. I only wish I could return the favor...but it would be senseless to visit Katy, Texas.. Unless you really like, crispy grass, and dead foliage due to drought-like conditions. Maybe we can share my one bell pepper and single tomato that grew in my garden! Thanks again. Looking forward to visiting your side of the world!

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

thank you

Edited: 26 August 2013, 16:33
8. Re: driving Kenmare to Adare in one day- What to do in between?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:22