We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restored "Famine" Village

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Topic
Restored "Famine" Village

dad told me when he was in ireland a few years ago on a 2 week bus tour, around the Ring of Kerry

they passed by (but didn't stop at) what was described as a village restored to the exact way people lived during the famine. I've done a fair bit of research and come up with an artist's retreat (not what I'm looking for) and Cill Rialaig Famine Village, which from the pictures look like the way land owners and nobility would have lived, not the common man who suffered through it.

Is there anything else I'm missing, or is one of these places what was mentioned?

Thanks.

Jamie O'Flaherty

Edited: 30 December 2013, 20:18
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

Only places I can think of are the cottage at Dúnbeg west of Dingle or the place on the way to Glenbeigh on the Ring of Kerry route.

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

Thanks Harvey.

I edited my message to include it was on the Ring of Kerry, I forgot to put in that important piece of info first time.

Jamie

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,295 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

Kerry Bog Village perhaps

http://www.kerrybogvillage.ie/

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

Kerry Bog Village

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

That "MAY" be the one they were talking about, but if you look at the bottom left picture on the page Bean posted, it certainly wasn't what I had in mind.

Jamie

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

Yes, that china cabinet's way too large, for pre-Famine :)

PEI, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

Just saw this in another post. Don't know if it's even in the right area or not.

irishworkhousecentre.ie/about/the-vision/

8. Re: Restored "Famine" Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19