We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

M G
Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Topic
5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

Hi all,

First off, thanks for such a great forum! My wife and I have found so much great information already and can't wait for our first trip to Ireland.

As you probably gleaned from the title, we have five days in county Kerry. We fly into Kerry airport around noon on a Monday in April, and fly out on Friday around noon. We are planning on renting a car for this portion of the trip.

We are looking for a combination of active vacation during the day, with some sightseeing around the coast, hiking, and horse back riding / biking / sailing (temp permitting, still have to look into this) by day and enjoying some great restaurants, pubs, and friendly small town atmosphere at night.

As of now, top things include Dingle, Killarney National Park, and Ring of Kerry. My question is, how much time to spend on each, and what order to arrange the travel to minimize travel and actually enjoy all the great things I've been reading about.

Some other questions include...

1. near the national park, stay at Killarney or Kenmare (or some other place) during mid april?

2. Top hiking trails or can't miss sights in the area that are off the main road, or are most areas car accessible? We are both fit and enjoy staying active and being outdoors.

All suggestions welcome, and please feel free to suggest any can't miss items to see or do that I've failed to discover so far.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! We can't wait to get there.

MG

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
5,970 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,712 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

I regularly upset some people on here by recommending people to drive round Dingle as the scenic drive from Killarney to somewhere in the Adare to Ennis or Quilty (if crossing by ferry) area,, Everyone will tell you the Cliffs are subject to the weather but listen to the cries of Heretic if I say Sleah head is also exposed to the Atlantic weather not mattering so much because you will be in the car not on foot.

Google maps are fine just remember to add some extra time because the software knows the speed limit is 80+kph but you won't be doing that?

Sit down and look at your overall plan, what are must see's what are want to see's and rethink as necessary. Which might possibly include arrival and departure airport? or adding a couple of days?

Edited: 23 March 2014, 08:56
Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

On my last trip to Kerry I stayed in Killarney for the week. If I was going again I'd do the same. I have visited Dingle a number times but can't comment on what it's like to stay there for a few nights. Whilst staying in Killarney I used to go for a walk in the National Park every morning and stroll down the town at night. We had no rain for the week and it was one of the best holidays I ever had (and I have been abroad to many places!). If you have the weather Co. Kerry is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I don't bother getting into the Dingle argument as I'd happily stay there also.

Mentioned in this post
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

Adding the Cliffs of Moher from Dingle would mean the better part of your day in the car. If you want an active vacation, resist the temptation to add another destination. If it were my trip, I would do the 2 days Dingle, 3 days Killarney/Kenmare split, or choose the latter for all 5 days.

As others have mentioned, Killarney/Kenmare provides easy access to the National Park, and the great scenery/activities available on both the Beara and Iveragh peninsulas...which is not to say you could not have a fine time spending all of your time on the Dingle peninsula. I guess the message is, if maximizing your time breathing Ireland's air and appreciating the country/culture is the goal, minimize time in the car. Enjoy, good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
The Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula
681 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

Sound advice, elegantly expressed, Tmac

15. Re: 5 Days in Kerry - How to maxamize my time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:15