We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puck fair

boise
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Puck fair

We will be in Kerry during the puck fair and are thinking of going. My question is will it be uniquely Irish and quaintly old fashioned like a scene from a period film, lots of bunting and little old ladies in big hats with their prize dahlias? Or a waste of my precious vacation days, just a crowded, smelly modern fair with food trucks and money guzzling boardwalk games and American music?

Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puck fair

These fairs are Uniquely Hideous imo. Way too many savagely neglected horses and puppies being bought and sold for kids by kids & and very questionable adults.

Why these fairs are supported is beyond me. Just because they are supposedly cultural, certainly does not make them right.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,312 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puck fair

No little old ladies with dahlias, more burly chaps and dodgy dealings. Bring your wellies , the streets are running with cow ****.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Puck fair

The fair takes place in a field ,,,,,,no cows**t on the streets...has cleaned up a lot in the last few years....been there for a day the last 3 years....music in pubs etc....stalls are same as can be found in any festival around the country ...bric-a-brac.....mobile phone covers....cd;s ....electrical items etc......

Its very popular with returning emigrants from the Mid Kerry area....

Its' not Dingle ..( you're not going to see some 'Hippie with a collie dog on a rope' )but it is authentic.all the same...

Saw a U2 tribute band play in the street recently ....called the Joshua Tree ........

If you're in the area ...pop along and see for yourself.....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puck fair

If you are in Ireland, have a day mixing with the Irish.. Killorglin is a grand little place anyway.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puck fair

Have been in the past and found it rough and a bit sleazy. It was some years go though, and I would therefore respect KerryEamsKerry's more recent experience

6. Re: Puck fair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:20