We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skellig Michael

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Skellig Michael

Have just booked Joe Roddy trips (http://www.skelligstrips.com/) to do Skellig Michael next Saturday week. Has anyone used them before? Also, has anyone actually climbed Skellig Michael and if so, any tips? I'm not the greatest with heights but this is on my bucket list, so come hell or high water, I'm going to do it. Not too bothered about going up but am apprehensive about the downward journey. Just hoping there is at least a couple of feet of land between the edge of the steps and the Atlantic.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skellig Michael

30+ years ago.. younger and fitter with far few(3) others than you might have these days, yes the downhill bit is the worst especially if it starts raining.. best advice, make sure food and drink has gone in and come out before you set off (do the new boats have toilets? don't know) watch your footing when moving, scenery when still and have a quite word with the Child of Prague about the weather. Have a good trip ;-) (not literally)

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skellig Michael

dokgolf, please come back and report on your experience. I've debated and debated trying this, so I'd like to hear from someone who shares my lack of fondness for heights!!

grafton
Level Contributor
634 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skellig Michael

I would like to know if there are any toilets on the boats? Spending 5 to6 hours without one is the only thing Im worried about.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skellig Michael

If I live to tell the tale, I'll certainly report back. They have only been 2 fatalities in the last decade on Skellig Michael so the odds are with me!! :-0

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skellig Michael

That's a bit like when I used to cross the gates at Davidson's Aberdeen with a big 8'x4' sign proudly displaying "*** Days since a fatal accident"

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skellig Michael

Did the Skellig Michael thing last Saturday. Its beyond words. I've never been to Machu Pichu but I can't imagine it could be better than this. We went with Joe Roddy tours. Boat left on time from Portmagee. He doesn't charge if he can't land you on the island. The guy who brought us out went fishing while we were on the island. He caught a box full of pollock. We said to him that he wouldn't possibly eat the lot. So, he gave us 3 of them to bring home lol! They were lovely, we ate them for dinner Saturday evening.

The island itself is stunning. You need to be reasonably active for the climb. Its probably worse on the legs on the way down. That said, an American gentleman ( 76 years old) did it with arthritic knees. He took his time and was sore but delighted at the end. The settlement on the top took generations to build. They think it took as long as 200 years to construct. In strong winds, you are advised to go on all fours if necessary while climbing, or come down on your butt!! I'm not particularly great with heights but managed ok. I'm seriously struggling here to put into words just what it is like. I will say this though, its something everyone should do at least once in their lives.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skellig Michael

Glad you enjoyed it and the weather was in a good mood..... any answers on the Toilet question??

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skellig Michael

No toilets on the boat or island Tony. There are 3 guides who live there during the summer. I assuming they have access to one!

grafton
Level Contributor
634 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skellig Michael

Thank you Tony and Dokgolf for the question uppermost on my mind and your experiences on the island. I will have to get friendly with one of those guides obviously, if we are lucky enough to get good weather to go! I'm not very good with heights either but if you can do it, so can I.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skellig Michael

No problem. I had to laugh when an American gentleman told the guide and I quote, "You should sell t-shirts of Skellig Michael". There was a stunned silence from those who overheard lol.