We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?

Castleton, Vermont
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?

Hello! I am very interested in taking a short kayaking trip while visiting in August. It looks like I can either do a 3 hr. sunset kayak in dingle, or a 3 hr. day trip in Killarney. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback on how to choose? Also, I’d rather not prebook and see how the weather/day is, but due to it being peak season, is prebook omg necessary? Thank you in advanced for sharing advice.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ring of Kerry Rail Trip from Dublin
163 Reviews
from US$140.80*
Free Cancellation
Private Tour: Ring of Kerry from...
44 Reviews
from US$61.50*
Free Cancellation
The Gap of Dunloe Adventure Day Tour...
28 Reviews
from US$82.80*
Free Cancellation
4 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,913 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?

I assume you are looking at www.irishadventures.net/

there is no 'wrong ' choice here. I would go with the weather on the day and how it fits in with other plans. How experienced are you? I would say Killarney would be calmer than Dingle harbour which can get quite rough as it is part of the Atlantic. Once in Ireland give Noel a ring and take his advice.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Castleton, Vermont
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?

Thanks for your feedback fuchsia. I am an avid paddler, but my traveling companion not so much. I like the advice of waiting till we arrive to arrange a tour. When we arrive in dingle we can book for the following evening, if things look good, if not try the tour in Killarney which is where we will be for the two days after our two nights in dingle. No reason to book early and then get stuck paddeling in unfavorable conditions. Thanks!

Edited: 20 May 2018, 12:22
Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,913 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?

Dingle Harbour is a fantastic and huge natural harbour and the marina is the central point of the town. On a warm summer evening it is perfect for all water activities. there is always something going on, You could also look at http://dinglerowing.com/ for something you can only do on the West coast of Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?

My daughters and grandson did the Dingle sunset trip and it was phenomenal. It is however much more weather dependent as it is open sea rather than the more predictable lake surface in Killarney

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Reply to: Kayaking question - Killarney or dingle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted