We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skellig landing and ROK in a day?

Castleton, Vermont
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Skellig landing and ROK in a day?

Hello TA experts,

I’m a little wary of posting this question as I have accommodations and Skellig landing tickets booked, but here it goes.

Plan to leave Dingle at 6 am to drive to portmagee marina for our 9:15 am tour to Skellig Michael on the Skellig Walker. We are supposed to return about 2 pm, if we are lucky and weather cooperates! We then are booked for an overnight in Killarney.

After we return from our trip to Skellig, should we continue on counter clockwise on ROK? My plan was to stop at Skellig Chocolate, Darrynane Beach, Staigue stone fort, then (time permitting) check out kenmare (maybe getting a quick bite to eat), before ending our day with a visit to torc waterfall.

In reviewing goggle maps, it seems doable albeit a very looong day. Just interested to hear the experts opinions on this ambitious schedule and recommended tweaks.

Thanks much!!

4 replies to this topic
Castleton, Vermont
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Skellig landing and ROK in a day?

Oh, I forgot to mention we are doing this on a Sunday in August which happens to coincide w/puck festival! Not sure if that will end up creating more lag time in our early trek to portmagee from dingle?? Oh boy!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,984 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Skellig landing and ROK in a day?

Avoid Killorglin like the plague during Puck Fair.

And everywhere will be very busy on a Sunday in August.

Do you want to DRIVE the Ring of Kerry or enjoy it and see it? If you want to just drive the Ring, then continue with your plan. If you want to enjoy and see it, then no.

Ballinskelligs Bay has its own castle. And it is beautiful.

The road between Kenmare and Killarney - the N71 - is spectacularly beautiful. But it is a challenging drive. I would not drive it in the dark or the dusk if I was driving it for the first time. So my suggestion would be to skip Kenmare that day. Kenmare will be very busy anyhow.

Castleton, Vermont
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Skellig landing and ROK in a day?

Thank you Bean! So, if we are blessed w/a landing, what is the best route from portmagee to Killarney avoiding Killorglin? Any stops between or just best to get to Killarney?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
188 reviews
4. Re: Skellig landing and ROK in a day?

From portmagee head anti-clockwise. Agree with bean re ballinskelligs bay. Geokaun mountain, which you can drive up, on valentia island is also worth a visit.

For an alternative to the ring road there is the r568 from sneem to moll's gap which we drove and enjoyed.

Reply to: Skellig landing and ROK in a day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted