We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

usa
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

I’ve been trying to build this itinerary and I would love some advice

23-25/8 Dublin pick up car early and make way to cork, I’ll still research stops on the way.

25-27/8 I’m considering staying at a little cottage in Myrtleville or city Cork. Spend the days exploring

27/8 the plan was to head to The ROK area, probably to stay in Killarney. But I’ve scheduled the skillege Boat trip for the 29th and I wanted to stay around the Portmagee area for the night before the boat trip.

Therefore, we would do a night in Killarney then to Portmagee and back to Killarney for a night.

To me even though it’s a lot of one night reservations, I like the idea of doing 1/2 of the ROK one day and the rest after the boat trip.

Then the 30th we’ll be heading to COM and then to Galway , so I don’t want 2 nights on the ROK because that would make a longer day of driving north.

I know there’s a lot I don’t understand about the area that more research would answer but I need some help so I can get going on reservations.

Another point of focus for the trip is music so being in areas that we can find local music in the evening is important

I hope my questions clear?

Thank you thank you

5 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,061 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

23-25/8 Dublin pick up car early and make way to cork, I’ll still research stops on the way.

@@@@ Yes, fine.

25-27/8 I’m considering staying at a little cottage in Myrtleville or city Cork. Spend the days exploring

@@@@ Myrtleville is nice but very little there other than one restaurant/bar and a small sweet shop. However the fairly nearby towns of Crosshaven (3miles) and Carrigaline (5 miles) will have everything you need.

27/8 the plan was to head to The ROK area, probably to stay in Killarney. But I’ve scheduled the skillege Boat trip for the 29th and I wanted to stay around the Portmagee area for the night before the boat trip.

@@@@ Personally, I'd base camp in Killarney and then get up early on 29th and do the one hour trip to Portmagee. If you really want to stay at Portmagee on night before SM, then the village of Portmagee, and the nearby Valentia Island is the place to look for accommodation.

Therefore, we would do a night in Killarney then to Portmagee and back to Killarney for a night.

@@@@ That's why I mentioned basecamp in Killarney above. Checking into different accommodation eats into precious time. The advantage of course of overnighting in Portmagee is that on 29th you will do one portion of the RoK and you can then finish the ring after SM.

Then the 30th we’ll be heading to COM and then to Galway , so I don’t want 2 nights on the ROK because that would make a longer day of driving north.

@@@@ If you are going to Galway for only one day/night - don't bother. It's too short for that area. Stay longer in either County Kerry or else near COM. Come back another time for a longer stay in the north West (Galway, Connemara, Mayo etc)

usa
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

thank you for your suggestions.

I think we will just stay in Cork City.

I seem to get side tracked by quaint accommodations.

thats also why I wanted to stay on the ROK, to experience the beauty a little more than just driving through.

But basing in Killarney does make more sense.

do we miss a lot of sights by getting up early and doing that first 1 hour drive to Potmagee?

we actually will be in Galway for 3 nights.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

I cut this from a similar thread I replied to earlier as a great day trip by car from killarney but within a 20 mile radius of the town.

For your day in Killarney you can do fabulous (all free) journey. proceed out the Kenmare road - the one over the mountains not the Cork route). Stop firstly at Ross castle beside the lake (turn right at traffic lights as you go out this road - its really in town). Then afterwards drive further 3 miles to Muckross and walk the grounds beside lakes. Then go 1 mile to Torc waterfall - waterfall is lovely as is the forest walk. Then proceed 8 miles past Ladys View shop pulling in at small layby about 1.5 miles beyond to get best view of lakes. Drive on until Avoca shop (Molls Gap), take right for sneem and after another mile turn right down into Blackvalley and go through the Gap of Dunloe - it is just incredible. You come out at Kate Kearneys cottage and eventually out onto the road from Killarneyto Killorglin road. It is scenery like you will not experience anywhere and kids will have loads to do en route. Driving from Killarney / Kate Kearney side is not as easy as drivers of Jarvey cars (horse drawn) will try stop you saying it is not a public road and trying to get you to travel with them. Go at it from the 'Kenmare' side as above and you will have no bother but it is narrow in places....ENJOY

usa
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

thank you, kindly!!

we will give it a try!!!

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.

Hi

I live in Killarney. Also, lived in Cork for 10 years so I know the area well.

DRIVE straight to Cork. Maybe stop at the Rock of Cashel.

Cork is seeable in a day. To be honest there's not a huge amount to see beyond 1 day. Why Mytville. Very random!! Maybe head for Clonakilty instead.

Portmagee..... I'm not being rude but you'll be bored senseless. Do this.... Do the ROK in a day and take in the boat trip. Base yourself in Killarney (buzzing town).

Maybe drive to Dingle the second day.Again, I STRESS.... the ROK in 1 day and stay in killarney

Edited: 25 May 2018, 15:43
Reply to: Help with Cork to Kerry itinerary ideas.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Killarney
Recent Conversations