We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney, Cork or Galway?

Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Killarney, Cork or Galway?

I am taking my daughter on a week long vacation to Ireland to celebrate her 25th birthday. Be will be driving through the country round trip from Dublin. She has requested to stay one night in a castle, and loves folklore. So far, the plan is two nights in Dublin, then maybe a night in Kinnitty to stay in the castle, then onto either Cork or Killarney for two nights after kissing the Blarney Stone and checking out Cashel Rock. She likes nightlife but also wants to see the countryside. Is Killarney going to bore her? Would she have more fun in Cork or Galway for two nights? I was thinking skip Cork, do 2 nights in Killarney, one night in Galway and then a final night in Dublin before leaving. Trying hard to balance castles, history, countryside and nightlife. Thanks for you suggestions!

8 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

She definitely won't be bored in any of those places. My only comment is if you are going to only one day/night in Galway then skip it this time as that's not enough time for that beautiful county. You could allocate that spare day to Killarney though.

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

I think a 25 year old would like Galway the most. It's a student city full of festivals and events. Killarney is lovely but it's certainly aimed at an older/family crowd.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
223 reviews
3. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

I’d agree with generator5000 that of the three Galway is the most interesting and lively for young people, although the nightlife in Cork isn’t bad, either!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
4. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

Date of visit, please? At the very least the month would help.

Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

April, 2019. So far my tentative schedule looks something like this:

Day 1: Dublin - stay near Tempe Bar

Check out the city then walking ghost tour in the evening

Day 2: Game of Thrones tour (her other request)

Day 3: Kinnitty Castle stay?

Day 4: Blarney Stone, Cashel Rock, arrive in Killarney

Day 5: Killarney

Day 6: Cliffs of Moher then Galway

Day 7: back to Dublin

Day 8: head to airport in the morning

Her only three requests were: night in a castle, Game of Thrones tour, and ghost tour. But in general, she chose Ireland because she loves folklore, castles and we live in the desert so she wants to see beautiful green countryside!

Thanks for any and all suggestions. We are really open to all ideas from local experts. I’m a boring old introvert and she is a fun, vivacious extrovert so I want to make sure I create a vacation of a lifetime for her, even if I don’t get to see and do all the things that would be top on my list.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
6. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

In 2019, Easter will fall in April.

Schools will be closed on the evening of Friday 12th and reopen on Monday 29th April, 2019.

Those last two weeks of the month will be busy and include Easter Monday Bank Holiday on 22nd. Make sure to get your accommodation organized in advance.

I would choose between Blarney & Killarney or Cliffs of Moher & Galway.

Northern Ireland Forum will have additional information on all things Game of Thrones:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g18646…

https:/…

https:/…collection-listings

Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

Wow that is really helpful!! We were thinking either April 6-13 or April 27-May 4. I was leaning towards the end of the month in hopes of better weather but now I’m thinking early April to avoid crowds and the holiday. What would you do?

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
8. Re: Killarney, Cork or Galway?

This is tricky:

I, too, would be inclined towards later in April into May for the same reason - of warmer weather, potentially.

On the other hand, there will be many additional events organized around Easter that might be enjoyable, especially if the weather is fine.

The main reason for posting my initial comment was so you could get your accommodation taken care of, in advance of your visit.

I didn't want you to find yourself looking for accommodation in Killarney or Galway at the last minute over the Easter holidays (which are more significant in their celebration than in the US).

I just realized, you will be up against another Bank Holiday weekend at the beginning of May - Monday 6th May 2019, being the actual Bank Holiday. However, leaving Ireland on the 4th, it shouldn't be a big deal, especially if you stay at an airport hotel.

Overall, go with the option that suits you best from your personal standpoint and you should be fine.

Reply to: Killarney, Cork or Galway?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted