We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
106 posts
42 reviews
12 helpful votes
First time at Killarney... suggestions required

We (myself, husband,1boy 10yrs, 1girl 6yrs) would be touring Ireland on mid-May coming year. We would be coming to Killarney by train after spending 3nihts at Dublin.We would like to see Killarney national park, Gap of Dunloe,Torc waterfall, Muckross Abbey and may be Moll's Gap and Lord Brandon's cottage.

We would not prefer biking. Some hiking is ok for us. We would like to do majority of these using horse carriage as well as boat rides. Is that possible? Am I planning on the right track?

How much approximately,will the boat and horse carriage cost?

How many days should we stay at Killarney to complete all of these?

What would be the preferable area to stay? (Not too distant from city center and even not within the bustle of the more touristy zone)

9 replies to this topic
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
375 posts
233 reviews
158 helpful votes
1. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Killarney is a popular tourist destination (rightly so) but is not a large city. It's population is under 15,000. Some of the places you want to visit may be better done by bus. Suggest at least three full days in the town. Some idea of prices here: https://uk.viator.com/Killarney/d911-ttd

Tours and link to accommodation search here:

irishtourist.com/directory/…

Suggest you look at TripAdvisor reviews on Killarney Hotels and choose what style of establishment would suit.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 10:59
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
201 posts
2. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Plan on at lease 2 full days (3 nights) for your wish list. Without a car you will need to stay near the town center. We have stayed at the Brook Lodge Hotel www.brooklodgekillarney.com The hotel is just off the main street and in a quiet area.

For the Gap of Dunloe all day trip we used Duros Tours www.derostours.com Their bus leaves Killarney at 10:30 arrives at Kate Kearney's Cottage and you hire your own driver for the horse and trap ride through the Gap to Lord Brandon's Cottage for lunch. The boat takes you back to Ross Castle and then bus back to Killarney. We paid 35 euros for each adult for the bus/boat/bus ride and 25 euros each adult for the horse and trap.

The 2nd day you could do Muckross and Torc Waterfall with the Killarney Hop On/Hop Off tour. www.killarneytour.com/tour-of-killarney Add a guided tour of Ross Castle to that day since you will not have time for the guided tour after the day at the Gap of Dunloe. Also, when at Muckross you might enjoy the Traditional Farms tour while on the Muckross Estates.

Don't think you will have the means to get to Moll's Gap.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
83 reviews
77 helpful votes
3. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

You can also hire a pony and trap in town to take you to the Muckross portion of the National Park. They will give you time to visit Muckross Abbey and Torc Waterfall and even bring you back to town but this is not a common route as most of the jarveys in town travel back and forth from Ross Castle.

I think the hop-on hop-off bus tour would work best to get you to Muckross, Once there, you can hire a horse and cart to get you around.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
106 posts
42 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Thanks to all for your reply. How much closer to the park can we stay, so that we won't have to take any hop-on-hoo-off or shuttle bus, but we can directly hire a jaunting car to see all the park? Is that possible to see all the park using jaunting car (may be with little bit of boat ride)? I was thinking of staying at Victoria house hotel. Will it be easier to hire jaunting cars nearby this hotel? Suggestions required.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
5. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Hope this find everyone doing well. First I want to thank you for any help you can give on my question. My family will be in Killarney Mid May 2019. We are interested in staying in a B&B and have narrowed our choices to Friar's Glen and Larkinley Lodge. Can anyone help me decide between these 2 or would you recommend somewhere else? Thanks again!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
6. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Sorry Debsamita, I didn't mean to post my question as a reply to your question. Please disregard. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 07 November 2018, 16:16
Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
76 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

I live next to the park so my opinion is to do Gap/LB Cottages/Torc on one day. How fit are you?

I have run Kate Kierneys to Lord Brandon cottage and back for annual half-marathons so I can attest it's about 11km one way. Walk from KK to LB as it's a better view. Arrange a horse carriage to collect you (e.g. 2.5hours after your depart KKC).

OR a taxi?

He can drive you from LBC over the back road to Molls Gap. From Molls Gap you come in the mountain road to Torc.Get out here. Walk back to Muckross House from Torc (2km).

That's what I'd do. On a nice day you'll love the walk from KKC to Lord Brandon Cottage.

A taxi to Kate Kierneys would be about 20 euro I estimate

Taxi from LB to Torc via Molls Gap (no horses do this road) about 30e.

Same guy might do ye a deal.

If you're stuck I might lol

Edited: 18 November 2018, 13:10
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
94 posts
30 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Sorry, double post!

Edited: 10 December 2018, 23:02
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
94 posts
30 reviews
25 helpful votes
9. Re: First time at Killarney... suggestions required

Both in very different areas. Larkinlay house is right in town centre . Walking distance of railway, restaurants etc. Small town house. Parking for a couple of cars out front. Friars glen is out of town near Muckross house in a more rural location. It is a bigger detached country house in lovely country surroundings with great reviews. However you would need a car for driving to restaurants or town in the evenings. One ‘get away from it all’ . One ‘ in the thick of it’ Depends what suits you .

Edited: 10 December 2018, 23:01
Reply to: First time at Killarney... suggestions required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted