We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Seattle
2 posts
Save Topic
Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

I have booked to stay at Kathleens Country House in Killarney in August. Has anybody genuine stayed there? There are some very suspicious reviews on this site and I am about to cancel. There were 2 good reviews dated 2003, then about 6 awful write-ups. Now there has been a bombardment of excellent reviews during the past week. It all seems rather suspicious to me and I'm not sure if I want to stay there now. Can anybody help? I'm wondering if the good write-ups are genuine or not.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,453 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Hi, had a look at those reviews. I haven't stayed there - we do self-catering when in Killarney, but I have an idea where it is. There are lots of lovely places to stay in Killarney, nearer to the town. I don't know if I would be happy staying there after those reviews!!

Have you had a look at www.ireland.ie - you may get a bigger picture of the accommodation available. We have travelled to Killarney quite a bit and to be honest, there is such a buzz about the town, particularly in August (Shops open until 9.00pm and later, with a multitude of languages, nationalities, shapes and sizes) I think you might enjoy the experience better if you could walk to and from your accommodation. However, if you like the quiet life then perhaps someplace more removed might suit better.

Hope this has been of assistance.

Seattle
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Thanks Beanalainn. I'll have a look at the website and will look to stay elsewhere I think.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

I just read all the reviews. To me it seems that there was a large family reunion staying at Kathleen's. Reading between the lines, it seems that all members of the family (whose reservations were mixed up) posted bad reviews as they are entitled to do. All the bad reviews were about basically the same problem.

Though I have not personally stayed there I have met Kathleen and visited her B&B. I found her to be efficient, energetic, very helpful and cheerful. Her B&B was very nice but it was not within walking distance of Killarney. You need a car so you can drive a few miles into town. Nice garden.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Just in case you havent found anything yet Kathleens is a nice place but it is a good bit out of town if you want to stay somewhere within walking distance of town Muckross Rd/Ross Rd or Countess Rd would be a good bet with plenty of choice.

Chicago
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

We have just completed a two week trip to Dublin, Killarney, and Galway. We stayed at Kathleen's Country House and it was the best place we stayed in the whole trip. It is very clean and the breakfast choices are wonderful. You have several choices of cold and hot breakfasts. Kathleen knows the area like the back of her hand and after talking with you, she suggests a tour that will meet your needs. We enjoyed the boat trip through the 3 Lakes of Killarney. Gaby's and Bricin are two fine restaurants, but there are lots more. Have a great time and tell Kathleen that Dennis from Chicago says "hello."

NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Hi

just to advise you all to read this :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186612-i487-k1773…

Kathleen seems to be conning everyone that visits this site.

not very nice at all.....shame on you!

What do you think?

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

The 47 reviews which this place gets in the hotel section is way out of proportion to its size with only 17 rooms. The Killarney Towers Hotel has 169 rooms has received only 16 reviews. Another establishment with 60 rooms gets only 18 reviews while another with 76 rooms gets only 19. Of the 47 reviews 45 have been made in the last 6 months. Judge for yourselves.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,453 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

OK Folks - The plot is really beginning to thicken:

More Statistics to digest with your mints:

Before Ama's Review, Kathleen's was No: 9 in the popularity listing in Killarney. After Ama's Review, Kathleen's dropped to 13 in the popularity listings. Now it is at No 10 again in the popularity listing.

Now, we have one of two things happening here - either the positive reviews have begun to proliferate again OR

Suddenly the other hotels in Killarney have had negative postings or have suddenly become unpopular.

Maybe there is an alternative answer - but I can't figure it out.

Take Care - The Truth is out there somewhere Na Na Na Na...

Sorry - this is a copy of my post on the other thread, but it has relevance to Kierans post. If anyone has any explanations for any of these phenomena, I would be delighted to discuss them.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,453 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Eureka!! Invasion of the Positive Reviews......

What a coincidence!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anybody know anything about Kathleens Country House?

Bean, shame on me, but I just worked out with expert what your name means. Am I the last to know...?