We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
276 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

OK, so after reading more we added two days to our trip to Ireland. Clauds, you had a lot of good advice before. Does this now sound more reasonable:

- Tuesday: travel to Killarney, stay overnight.

- Wednesday: ROK OR Dingle, stay overnight.

- Thursday: Gap of Dunloe tour OR Muckross House. It looks to me like the Gap tour concludes around 4pm. I am sure we would be satisfied with a trip to Muckross ending by 4pm. Then drive to Cahir, stay overnight.

- Friday: Cahir Castle AND Rock of Cashel AND Kilkenny Castle, overnight in Kilkenny. I am concerned about this being too much, but if we get out of our Cahir hotel by 10am, I have read that one hour or so for both Cahir and the Rock of Cashel is sufficient. With only a quick bite for lunch, we should be at Kilkenny by 2-3pm, right? I am hoping the rest of that afternoon, evening and overnight in Kilkenny is enough to enjoy it.

- Saturday: Drive to Newgrange. Then onto Dublin Airport to drop of car. Get into Dublin in time for dinner.

- Sunday & Monday: Full days in Dublin.

- Leave early Tuesday.

How does this sound? I suppose we could leave Killarney first thing on Thursday and go to Kilkenny via Cahir & Cashel, and then spend two nights in Kilkenny, allowing a full Friday there. But I would like to see the Gap tour, if at all possible.

Thanks again for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Irish Experience Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Spinin.ie
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Taxi Tours Irish
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Deros Coach Tours
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

Ideally you would want to be in Newgrange in the morning to get your tour organised. It will take you over two hours hard driving to get from Kilkenny.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
276 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

Thanks, Cavam - but getting out of Kilkenny before around 9-10 AM on Saturday will not be an option for us. If we get to Newgrange between 11-1pm, is that too late?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

It's still quite rushed, jahausa, but if you think you can manage this then go and do it!

I am not quite sure about driving to Newgrange on the Saturday AND getting back to Dublin to drop off the car AND getting into town in time for dinner. Newgrange is a very busy place (particularly on a Saturday) and if you're not there early you mightn't get onto a tour.

Just a tip: when in Cashel you might enjoy "a bite to eat" in the Cashel Palace Hotel. The hotel is in the centre of town, on the right coming from the Dublin direction. The "Pantry" is downstairs, the entrance is on your right as you face the hotel. I'm not sure about this being a "quick bite" but I think you'd enjoy the place.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

From Newgrange to the airport is quite easy and will take you less than an hour if you get onto the N2 route, there is a fast motorway link route from Ashbourne which will get you on to the M50 at Finglas, from there the airport is just ten minutes and you will avoid Dublin and the toll plaza.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
276 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

Thanks again, guys.

I think we're going to drop Cahir on Friday, and drive direct to Cashel and stay there that night. So on Friday we will just see the Rock of Cashel and drive to Kilkenny and stay there the rest of the day.

I really don't want to miss Newgrange, but maybe it will be best just to drive to the airport straight from Kilkenny and head into Dublin earlier...

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
6. Re: Less woeful amount of time in SW Ireland...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:19