We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
264 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

We are going to be in Killarney for a few days next week. We leave on a Thursday for a night in Cashel. Is it insane to leave at 9am from Killarney, drive to the Cliffs of Moher, and then onto Cashel for the night? Looks like about a total of 5 hours in the car, which I know is a lot...or is it much more than that?

Appreciate the help - met some people here in Paris who said missing them would be a terrible shame.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

Jaha. You don't mention where you'll visit during your Killarney stay, but why not take advantage of west Cork during your commute?

Great opportunities from Sheeps head, Beara peninsula or Gougane Barra - others might have more convenient suggestions.

Note also the Swiss cottage in Cahir should be open at this stage, and we recently ate at the Brian Boru pub in the middle of Cashel town and had a terrific meal.

I think, particularly at this time of year, you're going too far out of your way to visit the lovely cliffs of Moher - save county Clare for another visit!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

Jaha, curious to find out why your friends in Paris thought that missing the Cliffs of Moher would be a terrible shame. I have yet to read a really good TA report about the new Cliffs of Moher visitor centre regarded by some as being expensive, over-rated and not giving good views of the cliffs.

I visited the cliffs several years ago now and would like to know why missing it would be such a terrible shame. Perhaps you can come back and give us your honest verdict after your visit to the cliffs.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

AARoadwatch say it is just over 5 hours, (using the Tarbert ferry) so you can bet it will be more like six and a half. Cashel will take the last admission at either 3.45 or 4.45, I suspect they change when the clocks change so you will still be on the 3.45 time, so it looks as though you really could not do it in the time.

I think ferdia's suggestions would be a much better way to go.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
264 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

OK - Thanks all, sounds all reasonable. Folks we met here in Paris were from Cobh and Kilkenny. Said Cliffs are their favorites. I think we'll stick to our plan to leave Killarney - Riverside hotel on Muckross - and head to Cahir & Cashel for our night there. Wanted to Gap of Dunloe tour but weather looks too wet.

We're flying into and spending an afternoon in Cork city already, may try the distillery and/or Blarney.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

And I maybe wrong but I don't believe the Gap of Dunloe (complete roundtrip) tours have started for the season as of yet.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

Yes you would be slightly insane. It is not worth the detour.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

I would agree with you there Irishrover, the Cliffs of Moher has been hyped up to recoup the 30 million euro development cost of the 'hole in the wall' visitor centre and apparently visitors are no longer allowed close access to the cliffs for viewing.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

"visitors are no longer allowed close access to the cliffs for viewing".......and rightly so, there has been much erosion and damage done by constant trampling along the cliff edge by numerous visitors as well as it actually being rather dangerous!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

Aye Suzy,those numerous visitors have been coming to enjoy the natural views for decades and not bothering anybody. Now Clare County Council wants to create a mega-bucks tourist industy and has egg on their faces because it cost them more than they had bargained for, so now the tourist has to cough up.

What I want to know from tourists, is it worth it, particularly as there are higher cliffs in Achill Island and in Donegal. Should Donegal County Council do the same thing with Slieve League?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Killarney to Cashel - via Cliffs of Moher?

cavan:

Don't get me started on Clare Co.Council!!!

I will admit the last time I was at the cliffs was when the construction phaze was taking place so I personally can't comment on the new facility.

I have been visiting the cliffs for years and I do miss the cliffs of old, when you had the local buskers playing etc. Now they are all to be banished unless they are one of the lucky ones to get a licence from C.C.C. Don't know if slipping a brown envelopes will get you one ;-)

However the Cliffs are very popular and excessive advertising means visitors feel that if they are visiting Ireland it should be on their "to do list".

In recent years there has been a steady influx to the cliffs. I have seen it. There has been quite a few incidents at the cliffs such as visitors dropping their backpacks with their passports in it, cameras etc over the cliff. Most reports are to be found in The Clare Champion, of course the small incidents don't make the daily nationals.

I think there should be a charge. I think the charge in question is too steep......but then again I remember when the carpark was free and the charge of 50p coming in for the first time. My Dad was horrified!!!

Out of interest when I visited "The White Mountains N.P" in New Hampshire a few years ago. We had to pay a daily fee to visit the area and then had to pay $10 to visit "The Flume Gorge". They just had a small visitor centre/shop/toilet facilites. To be honest we did not begrudge paying the fee as it was a wonderful natural attraction, and felt good that my fee was going towards the maintenance of a natural attraction for future generations.