We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on day husband golfs???

California
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on day husband golfs???

Hi - We'll be in Killarney for 2 nights, most likely extending it to 3 in October. On one of the days we're there, my husband plans to golf in the morning (early). On the day that he golfs, any suggestions on what to do for the remainder of our day? If he's done by 10 or 11AM, 12Noon at the latest, would we still have time to do the Gap of Dunloe (we were thinking of walking/hiking it)?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

You could certainly hike the Gap of Dunloe route from Kate Kearneys cottage in an afternoon once the golf is over. You would need to organise transport to get to the cottage eg one of the local tour companies, taxi, car hire etc.

There are many sites of interest in the Killarney area which can be visited in an afternoon - see the Things to do list here on Tripadvisor - just depends on what you have already done.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

Send hubby golfing.

You go shopping.

Enjoy yourself.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,544 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

I would recommend that you do the Gap. How many hours do you want to spend there.

The thing about the gap is that once you walk in to the gap you must walk the same route back. It's not a problem, it's just that some people like a more circular route where you travel in one direction.

An hours walking from KKC will bring you to the Gap and another hour back. If you want to extend this someway you might want to consider meeting up with one of the boats that do a pick up job I think near Lord Brandons cottage. I believe that TonyIrish is a bit of a Gap Guru and he will know more about the boat movements.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

Yes, by all means head to the Gap. Some people like to walk in there in the evening when all the day tourists have come and gone. (But the bugs come out some evenings so be warned). I would drive to Kate Kearney's, just a few minutes from Killarney Golf and Fishing Club. Depending on the time of day you may wish to stop at Kate's for a bite to eat - their food service has improved immensely. The jarveys will offer to take you up and back but it sounds like you are well able for the hike. Do go as far as the top tough as the view into Black Valley and back into the Gap is very much worth it. If you know he will be done (back into town) by 10 you could do the full tour including bus, buggy, boat but I think you will be fine taking your time to hike it. You can always go to Ross Castle or Muckross Boat House to hire a boat to take you on the lakes.

California
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

Perfect! You have all given me the answer I was hoping for.

Clauds, your post made me chuckle... I plan to do lots of shopping! Any suggetions or shops I shouldn't miss, please do tell.

Thanks everyone!

killarney
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

Depending on where you are staying, the reception may book a Gap of Dunloe or Ring of Kerry tour for you. I work in a local hostel and we take bookings and money for the tours (17.50e), organise it with the company, and the bus picks up at 10.30am from the hostel, and drops them back at around 4pm. I am sure it would be easy for you to do something similar, and hopefully your hubby will be back in time!!! If not, you could go on the ring walk through the national park down to Ross Castle, or through Muckross House and Gardens.... weather permitting of course! :) With that sort of an itenary, you should make it back in time to do some well deserved shopping!!! :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

You might visit Muckross House and gardens. It's just the thing some men don't appreciate and you'll love it. If he gardens maybe he can meet you, they are wonderful! Otherwise, shop and treat yourself to a nice tea. There are spas also.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

Hi dreamy trees and welcome to TA.

Just to clarify (and correct me if I am wrong)

Ring of Kerry Tour E17.50

Gap of Dunloe Tour E50 (E30 if you walk and don't take buggy)

Which hostel do you work at?

California
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

Thank you Dreamytrees and Cormac55. I'm hoping hubby will be done with golf early assuming he can get an early tee time. We've heard that a round a golf moves far more quickly in Ireland than here in the states. If not, more shopping time for me! The spa idea sounds good too! Can't wait for our trip!

killarney
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on day husband golfs???

I work in Neptunes Hostel on New Street, tonyirish.No, as far as I know it's around 25euro for the gap tour from the hostel. I was on housekeeping and have onlt lately been put on reception but I'm quite sure that that's around what it costs. I hope so anyways!!! :O

Get answers to your questions about Killarney