We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
995 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone

We bought a cell phone in Rome this past spring and a TIM SIM card. I removed the TIM SIM card last month and lent it to a fellow Trip Advisor user for his trip to Italy in September.

My in-laws are leaving for Ireland next Thursday and I was going to loan them our phone. I was thinking that they could simply buy the Irish version of a TIM SIM card at Shannon airport and put it in the phone. Then, they would have to charge the phone when they got to their first hotel and they would be set to go.

Am I correct in my thinking? Is there a store at Shannon where they could get an Irish SIM card and some usage time? Does anyone know how much this might be?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone

Hi Mom - where are your in-laws going to? It might be easier to buy the sim when they arrive at their first destination. Shannon town centre can be a little difficult to negotiate for the uninitiated.

I don't know if there would be any phone shops in the actual airport. In the mean-while I will bump up previous threads on mobile phone usage.

Take Care.