We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must-see and Must-do

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Must-see and Must-do

I am traveling to Killarney in October with three friends.We are four middle-aged American women and it's the first trip to Ireland for all of us. What do you recommend as must-see signts and must-do activities? We'll be in Killarney four days. Thank you.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must-see and Must-do

Watch out Killarney :O)

Hi there, Killarney is lovely and I am sure you will have a wonderful time. There are so many places and so little time.

Shopping for Clothes - Quills, Main Street. There is also a designer outlet beside the railway station. Nice places including Blarney Woolen Mills and Paco.

Sightseeing - Muckross House and Gardens and Torc Waterfall (very close to each other, you can walk from Muckross to Torc, under the main road. Its about 3 kms)

Ross Castle and Island

The Black Valley - do a search on this forum for "The Black Valley" where I have previously discussed how to get there and what you will see. If you can't find this post, get back to me. Actually I will search & bump.

Fossa Church - even if you are not holy this church is wonderful.

Aghadoe - there is a park across from the Aghadoe Heights Hotel. Stand there as the sun goes down over Killarney. MAGIC.

You might consider taking a tour of the Ring of Kerry (at least an afternoon, take tea in the Great Southern in Parknasilla, take lunch in the Towers in Glenbeigh as part of this trip!!)

Food: Macs in Main Street is good for food, their ice-cream is without comparison.

Royal Hotel - beside Franciscan Church. 5ofus, another poster, loves the Bricin.

http://www.killarneytown.com/index.php

Odd Place Names - on the Aghadoe Road (coming from the Killarney-Limerick side, just before Old Killarney Village Self-Catering Complex there is an estate called Groin Close.

Unfortunatley have to rush - hope this helps. Take Care.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must-see and Must-do

Thanks you so much beanalainn. Great info that you don't find in the tourist books. Another question, if you don't mind. Someone told us that Europeans don't like Americans anymore and we should be careful not to readily identify ourselves as American - dress, etc. I can't imagine there's anything to that, but was just wondering. Thanks again! paewacket1

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must-see and Must-do

that's really funny that.

How will ye disguise your voice - which European country will you study the accent of.

Don't worry about somebody telling you that Europeans you won't be liked. That's a pack of nonsense. Ireland is full of Americans all year round and there is no problem.

You might be thinking of a long time ago, when American's came over they all dressed in Green plaid and tartain, and was covered head to foot in Shamrock, and you could hear them a mile before you could see them.

Thankfully things have moved on drastically and you will blend in pretty well - as long as you don't wear the shamrock tree of course (heh heh).

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must-see and Must-do

Hi Pyewacket - Can I reiterate what Whales said - this is another myth. What Europeans DO hate is people who spread malicious rumours about Europeans hating Americans!!

There are a number of issues which many Europeans do feel strongly about, but we will accept your personal opinion on the topic and then politely disagree with you. This does not mean we hate you or don't like you, it just means we are not syncopants.

Touchy Issues:

- Much of George Bush's Foreign Policy

- Much of George Bush

- Kyoto Agreement

I am SURE you and your friends will have an absolutely wonderful time over here. You cannot be anybody other than who you are. Just don't be deliberately inflamatory (which I am sure you and your friends would find it impossible to be :O)

Enjoy the positive feelings of being in a democracy where we can all express our opinions, no matter how diverse they are, without feeling threatened.

Take Care - if you have any further questions, and I am sure you will, we would be delighted to help.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must-see and Must-do

same as that Bealainn

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must-see and Must-do

Thanks so much for reinforcing what I just knew would be true! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being naive. I told the person spreading that rumor that I'd just wear my "I don't like George Bush either" button. FYI I refuse to remove my Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker from my car!

Now one more question. That same "rumorist" told me that women must wear skirts or dresses to dinner - not just formal dinners but any evening meal. I haven't been in the mood to wear skirts in a while, but I have some very nice pants. Will I be shunned if I don't wear a skirt to dinner in Ireland? Thanks for keeping me within Irish tradition and practice.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must-see and Must-do

oh my god, what age is this woman that's telling you this - 150, 160, 200 maybe??

Next minute she will be telling you that you have to get out at every crossroads, take your shoes off and do an jig.

It's the same here in Ireland as it is in the States - no different - and just in case she tells you more stories.....yes, we do use credit cards here.

Put her onto this forum and we'll sort her out for you.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must-see and Must-do

Pyewacket - WHO is this person?!!

It's almost impossible to get a decent skirt in this country if you're over 16 1/2 and anything heavier than about 10lbs!! Most of the skirts are either for the very elderly grannies (i.e. 90+) or for the long tall skinnies (like my daughter, but not me unfortunately!!)

If you want to dress up, smart trousers and smart blouse are perfect, with a pair of heels. Same trousers can be worn with a jumper and flatties for day wear!! Dearie me - even the nuns are wearing trousers these days.

Please don't get hang-ups before you come over. We're generally very relaxed over here. I've done Macs in jeans and hiking boots, I've done the Royal in smart trousers. I tried on a skirt in a shop once in Killarney, which is the closest I've got to wearing a skirt in the town.

Hope this helps - get back with more of the myths to be dispelled - :O)

Take Care.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must-see and Must-do

Pyewacket - I agree once more with Whales post of 10.00 am (even if its 15.07 here in Ireland!!)

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must-see and Must-do

and remember Pye

re. Bealainns post

that's only if you WANT to dress up . If you don't then just go in jeans and a sweater or tshirt - basically, there is no dress code at all here - unless you are going to a massivly expensive five star silver service dinner.

ANYTHING is fine.

G'won tell us another funny story about your friend - what other wild things did she tell you - I think she/he's been on the sauce!!