We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guagan barra-a place to remember

co.cork
Level Contributor
141 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
guagan barra-a place to remember

just remembered - on one of our visits to killarney last year we met a family from the north of ireland who had been to killarney many times but had not heard of guagan barra in co.cork about an hours drive from killarney and truly heaven on earth-- plenty of walk ways if you are energetic-or you can stroll at your leisure or you can drive around the wooded area-- plenty of picnic areas--also the toilets are clean and maintained-- have been visiting guagan barra (and killarney ) for the past 28yrs- first with children now in retired mode- great place to let children explore- mine still remember with fondness-- no matter how busy the place is it is still peaceful-- also has a small cafe and small shop with nic nacs and ice lollies etc.. also hotel on site but never had the need to go in....----church and lakes are truly beatiful--- I can't give you directions as i am no good at it but the drive is sceenic - please go you will not be dissapointed...

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

Well sign posted from the Cork side of Macroom.

Its a magical place & we were lucky to get married in the Oratory many years ago.Great memories of a very special day in a stunning location !

www.gouganebarra.com

Edited: 07 May 2010, 14:11
North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

Howdy brenella,

I concur on Gougane Barra.

http://www.gouganebarrahotel.com/

The picture of the church on the lake, has been my screen saver for a few years.

I just love this area.

Let's just keep it our little secret!

Slan,

SandBilly

co.cork
Level Contributor
141 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

hi sandbilly -- I must admit I think I only told this family because they weren't loud and brash--but I have shown a lot of over seas family and relatives just to show off because we can go quite often (only 90km) and they can't--mean I know :o)

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

Howdy brenella,

Thanks for the not letting people know of this nice area!

Yes indeed, I too have told some folks I thought who would enjoy it. Then there are the others, I guess I may have given the wrong directions. hmm

I hope you have a nice Spring weekend, we have been covering outdoor plants as it is too get well below freezing tonight here in the Sandhills.

Slan,

SandBilly

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

Gougane Barra is soooo lovely. Lets keep is a little secret. Most guidebooks don't mention it. They are interested in "prime" tourist sites.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

Seems everyone is keeping it a secret !!!!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

As someone from the US where we still have much more undeveloped, wild land than is in Europe, I have to ask if this place is so special because of the type of flora there or more simply the fact that it is a lovely, large park in a natural condition. Where I am coming from, we have a lot of lovely, natural areas, so I am wondering what makes this place so unique. Sometimes I think context makes a difference in expectations. Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

Let's tell no one else about this gorgeous place, we can keep it to ourselves;-))

Should we ask TA to delete this post altogether? Just to be certain!

Was there two weeks ago - so lovely

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

There was a thread about favorite places a few weeks back and someone suggested Gougane Barra. I plan on checking it out.

co.cork
Level Contributor
141 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: guagan barra-a place to remember

hi juliest-- guagan barra has natural beauty with it's mountains and lake and the smallest church in ireland (if i'm not wrong) and soooo peaceful.

Get answers to your questions about Killarney
Recent Conversations