We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

I am trying to plan our days in Killarney and was wondering if it is doable to see Blarney Castle in the morning and then driving to Kinsale to have lunch and see the town and then onto The Old Middleton Distillery? Is this too much for one day?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

Driving time from Killarney to Blarney - about 1.5 hours

Blarney to Kinsale 1 hr

kinsale to Midleton 1.5 hours

Midleton to Killarney 1.75 hours

total driving time is about 6 hours. Allowing a 1.5 hour stop in each, it's about an 11 hour day.

You could skip Kinsale and have lunch at the wonderful Farm Gate Restaurant in

Midleton

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

That sounds like a too long of day for me. I will do as you say and have lunch in Middleton at the Farm Gate Restaurant and do Kinsale another day.

Thanks for your help.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

Take a look at www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes

They suggest that the overall trip is about 4h 40 minutes. And they suggest that Kinsale to Midleton is about 55 minutes.

This site also gives you excellent directions.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

I've never done Kinsale to the Jack Lynch Tunnel in less than 45 - 50 minutes, and Midleton is a minimum 20 minutes from there

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

This was our experience for one day when we did not even plan as much to do as you are.

Stayed the night before in Tower, just outside of Blarney. Got to Blarney castle a little before 9:30 AM. Climbed to the top of the Castle, and explored the rock close garden. Left the castle about noon, and spent about half an hour in the Blarney Woolen Mills shopping. Drove to Midleton. The distillery does not give continuous tours, so we had to wait about half an hour before our tour started. After our tour and tasting, we had late lunch at the restaurant right there at the distillery to save time, since it was now almost 3 PM. Food was fine. Then we drove to killarney and got there right about 6 PM. I felt this was a long day, and I was glad that we had not planned anything else to do that day.

AA roadwatch says it takes one and a half hours from Midleton to Killarney, but we got a little lost going through Cork City, even though we had the OSI road atlas and were watching all the signposting. So it took us more like 2 hours.

One more comment. The tour at the distillery is not of the current working distillery. It is of the old distillery that stopped production back in the 1970"s, so it is more of a historic tour. A lot of people do not know that before they go there, and are disappointed.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

Thanks for the replies. I think we will just do Blarney castle and the Midleton distillery that day. The Farm Gate restaurant looks really neat so I think we will do the tour then have a nice lunch to soak up all the whiskey. I have heard that the distillery in Midleton is better than the one in Dublin, at least that is what Rick Steve's say's in his book. I don't want to be rushed and we are taking our GPS from home to help us from getting lost. (I hope).

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,223 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

The Midleton Distillery is a working distillery, the one in Dublin is not. That said, you will not see the modern distillery but rather the historic part of the plant. You want miss anything doing this, the modern operation is all high tech with nothing to see of interest

8. Re: Blarney Castle, Kinsale and Ole Middleton Distillery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 05:18