We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Killarney as base?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in Killarney as base?

Hello,

We are trying to finalize our itinerary and were thinking that it would be best to have 4 nights in one location. This is what we were thinking:

Fly into Dublin (1 night)

Do HOHO bus

Drive to Kilkenny - Mount Juliet Estate - Rosegarden Lodges (3 nights)

See Kilkenny, Rock of Cashel, do a day trip somewhere else in the area

Drive to Killarney - Park Place Apartments (4 nights)

National Park, Kenmare / Beara Peninsula, ROK (if we can swing that drive) and/or Dingle Peninsula?

Fly out of Shannon

Would Killarney for 4 nights be a good base to see all these areas?

While we would have liked to have included the Cliffs & Galway in this trip it's probably going to be too much moving around with our 2 yr old daughter and we don't want to feel like we have to rush around to "see everything." Hopefully it will be a good excuse to come back someday!

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

Nice and relaxed ....Lots to see in Killarney and a good base for the the SW

With the little one you could check out Kennedys pet farm or Kissanes Sheep farm

this is a good site for Killarney

http://www.killarneyonamap.ie/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

Thanks for the website recommendation.

I keep reading how a lot of people prefer Kenmare over Killarney so it's tempting to book there instead. It just seems like Killarney is a bit more centralized for the region, it would be possible to get to Dingle and if we're driving directly to Shannon airport on our last day, it is a (little) bit closer. Plus, the rates for the Park Place Apartments are extremely reasonable. Seems like a good family option.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

Directly across the road from Park Place is the Deerpark retail park ...you have a Tesco store there so easy to stock up on essentials etc there is also a petrol / (gas)station there .

Kenmare is a smaller more sedate town everyone has a preference but I'm a fan of Killarney I think its a great town at any time of the year and I live about 30 miles away

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
772 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

I like Killarney too and agree that there's plenty to see for 4 nights. You definitely need to have down time so you don't get a cranky toddler! If you have time on your way to Shannon Bunratty Castle and folk park is great. Enjoy

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

Not quite KerryEams. Park Place Apartments are at the top of high street whereas the Tesco you refer to is off the Park Road a ways out of town. There is a Tesco in town though and a Dunnes as well as lots of local smaller stores to get your provisions though.

Kerry
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

Tonyirish

Pardon me missus .....

You are quite correct .....damned edit feature has a tendency to expire !! lol

Edited: 24 August 2012, 16:09
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

Thanks for the input! We just booked our trip!! Looking forward to it!

8. Re: 4 nights in Killarney as base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 05:17