We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice place for a meal in Killarney

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
nice place for a meal in Killarney

I'm getting confused looking at all the various restaurants in Killarney to choose from.

Any recommendation on a nice restaurant for four people for dinner on a weekend night. Not overly expensive or posh, but not run of the mill place either like a pub.

any suggestions on where the locals go for a night out that has good food (seafood) but that won't break the bank

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

I preface my recommendation, by saying that 'one man's meat, is another man's poison, in so far as, that a restaurant that appeals to me might not necessarily appeal to you. Having said that, I was in Killarney last week, and like you was a bit confused as to where to eat - there were loads of places. We saw a queue of people outside one restaurant, enquired, to be told that it had been recommended in various travel books, and so we joined the queue,waited about 30 minutes for a table. We were not disappointed. I had their home made burger(about €12), which was one of the best I've ever had, my wife had the salmon fish cakes(about €12 also), which she enjoyed, and we shared a delicious sticky toffee pudding (yum, yum, yum) (€6/7), a bottle of wine. Total bill €48, and we found the staff to be very pleasant and attentive, and there was a lively atmosphere in the place. We were there between 8 and 10 PM. Would I return? Definitely, but I'm a person of simple food tastes. And after all that, the restaurant is Mac's on Main St, Killarney - www.macsofmainstreet.com

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,459 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

Macs is fabulous Fenla and is where we always head to first when we arrive in Killarney. We've been going there for years and have NEVER had a bad meal.

And the staff are absolutely wonderful.

When our son was small, he was a big fan of Cork (Pork!!) Sausages and the staff would bring him out the sausages telling him they were from Cork.

When hubby broke his wrist in 2009 and they sent him home from Tralee hospital because they couldn't set his wrist that night, we headed to Macs for something to eat (those of you who have waited in an Irish A&E know the feeling!!). The staff were absolutely wonderful to him (and me - I was quite stressed at the time!!).

Their Ice Creams are also fabulous.

I wish I was there now.....

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

That sounds like a great place, and one for future noting.

If you fancy something fancier I'd heartily recommend Chapter 40

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

Treyvauds has never disappointed any time I've visited.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

Macs sounds GREAT - must check that out. Chapter 40 looks lovely but would prefer something more casual but thanks Soonas. Must check out trayvauds too, never heard of that one. Thanks guys.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
768 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

Chapter 40 does a great early bird menu! Went there with a group of girls and it was fantastic and reasonable and not stuffy at all but Macs sounds good too.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 18:46
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

We were in Ireland back in June and really enjoyed the Bricin Restaurant. Ended up being our favorite meal of the trip. Didn't really think we would need reservations as we were eating pretty early, but called ahead anyway. When we got there we saw them turn away other couples who didn't have reservations. You can see their menu online. Loved the camembert, both of us had a boxty, I thought the lamb curry one was the best. There was a public parking lot just down the street, not far. Have fun! --Haley

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

Mac's of Main Street is very good. Can't say I have been to many other places to recommend, we went to Mac's while in Killarney for 2 days as we drove around Irleand for our honeymoon. I liked the place a lot, it was a nice chance of pace from "pub/bar food", it wasn't expensive but the food was good, the service was good, and I really liked the place itself...not much more I can say about it.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

Another vote here for Mac's of Main Street. Good food, great service and presentation, and reasonable prices. The atmosphere was great ------ very appealing layout.

Had the best fruit crumble dessert there!!! We had the early bird special, and you can get beer /wine as one of your choices

Ellen

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
396 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nice place for a meal in Killarney

We recently stayed at Larkinley Lodge in Killarney and when discussing with the owner a place for dinner, she highly recommended Mac's of Main Street. She told us that she and her husband eat their frequently, with one of their favorite dishes being the braised lamb shank. At the mention of lamb, my husband was set on going there so we did and had a great meal.

Our host also told us that the place originally was an ice cream parlor but then expanded out the back, turning the back area into a restaurant. If you go there, you will notice when you enter that you first bypass an ice cream counter. The desserts are delicious as well.

We were only there for one night so didn't get to compare to any of the other restaurants that were recommended as well.