We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Chicago
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Do you think we can do this itinerary and still feel like we are not too rushed? We have 8 nights and flying in and out of Dublin:

Day 1: Arrive Dublin and drive to Waterford, stay overnight

Day 2: Drive to Kinsale, stay overnight

Day 3: Drive to Killarney and stay one or two nights (can we do a day trip to Dingle from here? Better to stay here or Dingle?)

Day 5: Drive to Galway (how long will this take?) and stay overnight

Day 6: Drive to Dublin or is there a good spot between Galway and Dublin?

Day 8: Leave Dublin

Any suggestions would be great!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,423 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Any itenerary that has every day starting with "drive to" is rushed in my opinion. You would spend all your time going TO places and little time actually being IN places. I would cut out half of the places, and concentrate one on area of the country.

Dublin-Galway-Clare-Dublin for example.

Chicago
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

My family really wants to stay at a B&B in Waterford and go to Kinsale. It's me who wants to go to Galway. I figure we have to make a circle versus back track to Dublin....no?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,484 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Take a look at the following journey planner routes.aaireland.ie

This will give you directions, distances and estimated times (add on about 10% because it doesn't legislate for slow drivers, sheep, red traffic lights, alien abductions etc :o)) )

Yes, I think you are trying to pack in a lot in 8 days.

Imagine you are travelling with a delicate hat. You put it in the case and then you realise you need to wear something with the hat and then you start putting in more stuff because you don't want to leave it out. And then you re-evaluate and you see that the hat has got squashed and the reason for packing is suddenly negated.

A holiday is a bit like that.

I'm sure the reason you picked Ireland to visit was to see the country, to meet with the people, to enjoy being here.

But if you set off on a highly charged itinerary all you'll get to see is the road and the car in front. The only people you'll get to talk to are your fellow companions and the cashiers at the petrol stations. And you won't enjoy being here if you feel that every time you stop you should be going somewhere else.

Less is more. Ireland has been here for a long time - and austerity notwithstanding - it is likely to be here for another bit!! If you are meant to come back you will.

Some questions...

1. Why Waterford?

2. Why Kinsale?

3. Why Galway?

4. What do you want to achieve by your visit?

5. What time of the year are you visiting?

6. What is the age demographic of those in your party?

7. Are you doing anywhere else in Europe on this trip or is it just Chicago-Dublin-Chicago?

Lots of questions I know. But they'll help us tidy up your itinerary a bit. Make it more user-friendly.

toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

I was interested in day 3 because I was wondering the same thing. I was planning to stay in Killarney for 2 nights and do a day trip to Dingle,if our trip to Skelling Michael wasn't possible, or to stop in on our way north. Or does Dingle deserve a night of it's own?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Dingle deserves a night, in my opinion. 43 pubs, many untouched in decades, lots of music, fantastic restaurants

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

It seems a little extreme to visit Waterford just to stay in a particular B&B, which one is it, and why?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Please, please, please make yourselves more aware of the Irish roads - after several harsh years weatherwise and the councils being hard up - we dont have too many roads you can zoom along. Agree re other posts - dont overdo it.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Where are some of your plans for the days (which are too many) that you are driving. For example - from Kinsale- along the coast or direct to Killarney?- do Beara or not? do Bantry house or not? - do Glengariff or not, do Skibberreen or not?

If you do some plans for what you want to see/do then maybe your timing will need to be adjusted.

Chicago
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

I'm late on these answers but thanks for all the help! This may help...

1. Why Waterford? My mother was given a recommendation of a B&B and she MUST stay there. She is my mother and I do not argue with her :)

2. Why Kinsale? Because it sounds amazing! It was a town my family wanted to visit and I saw no reason to argue. Is it not as great as it sounds?

3. Why Galway? This is the place I want to go to. I've been to Dublin but I'd like to see the other side of things. Many friends have visited and told me it was fabulous.

4. What do you want to achieve by your visit? We come from an Irish heritage so we want to see the beauty of the country, of course...but we also want to experience the culture and people (my favorite thing about traveling). I'm the only one who has traveled abroad in the group.

5. What time of the year are you visiting? We will be arriving Memorial Day weekend and staying 8 nights.

6. What is the age demographic of those in your party? I'm in my mid 30's but the rest of the group is 55-60 but young at heart!

7. Are you doing anywhere else in Europe on this trip or is it just Chicago-Dublin-Chicago? Just Ireland.

We really don't have a set agenda and are open to suggestions on what to do!

Chicago
Level Contributor
105 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Day Itinerary too aggressive?

Also...since we are flying in and out of Dublin...the only logical way to go was to do a circle from Dublin and around to Galway and back to Dublin. Unless you know of other ways!? :)