We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney or not?

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney or not?

Wondering what I would be missing if we didn't visit Killarney. We will be leaving Kinsale onto Bantry House and then to drive Ring of Kerry and will be headed north to galway region. By the looks it seems Killarney will be out of the way to go intown. Will be needing to stay in the area after the day driving the Ring, etc. Any ideas?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney or not?

Killarney is actually the main County Kerry town on the Ring of Kerry. If you don't have time to explore Killarney then no point staying there really, but it is a great base for ROK so don't discount it. The whole ring is peppered with lovely villages and off the beaten track accommodations, so accommodation will not be the issue for you. The issue is, what location will you overnight at. Have a look at a map or Google earth. This will give you a great idea as to what is involved.

Here is a delightful spot, it's on my to do list for certain. The location is almost at the tip of the ROK. Beach Cove B&B located right on St Finnians Bay, near Ballinskelligs. Or, The Moorings in Portmagee would be lovely too.

maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney or not?

Bryno, I'm considering Glenbeigh, or Killorglin for the overnite, didn't want to miss Killarney if it's something I should see, My mom have been there and will be with me. Don't know what to do?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney or not?

I'd prefer Glenbeigh to Killorglin, it's more scenic. Killorglin is a fine town though. If I had to choose, I'd choose Glenbeigh.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney or not?

Back in the day, the man cooked here. I wouldn't skip Killarney though.

www.towershotel.com/

Edited: 26 March 2013, 01:58
Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,265 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney or not?

LK - that was a LONG time ago!! Its still nice for a cosy lunch.

Killarney Town isn't the main attraction its the places in the vicinity which are faboulous.

Muckross House and Gardens and Torc Waterfall are both wonderful to visit. I would suggest you make the time to visit them if you can.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney or not?

Approaching Killarney National Park from Kenmare direction is quite dramatic. Ladies View, Torc Waterfall, and Muckross House grounds are wonderful as Bean says.

7. Re: Killarney or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 06:16