We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Plan to drive the ROK on a Saturday or Sunday? Which day would be best? Which direction? Am I crazy to drive it myself? Seems that many have done it before and lived to tell the tale :)

Ogden Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

This time of year it didnt matter. Clockwise puts you in the same direction as the tour buses so there isnt a passing issue. I went countercloskwise and passed four tour buses with no issue. pull to side and let them pass. If your driving take the ferrie to Valencia Island (6 euro) just off the ring. Well worth it. Then pop back on to the ring. You get to the ferrie first counter and then a bridge back.

Level Contributor
167 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Go clockwise this way you will do twisting section early and will be on the better road later on when your tierd

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Anticlockwise.

We drive the Ring at least once a year. By going Anti-clock you will be behind any busses. You will also have the land side beside you.

I always recommend going "off" the Ring to see the best bits. And these are all on the first half of the anti-clock route:

Rossbeigh Beach - just beyond Glenbeigh

Valentia Island, accessible via a bridge at Portmagee

Skelligs Chocolate Factory in St. Finian's Bay www.skelligschocolate.com

Ballinskelligs Bay

Derrynane House and Beach heritageireland.ie/en/…derrynanehouse

The roads have been significantly widened in recent years and it is now a joy to drive.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Tour buses go anticlockwise.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Drive the ROK anti-clockwise!

6. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 02:05
Canada
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

I drove it myself and survived just fine and dandy! And went clockwise. On a quite Sunday mornging, I got to Waterville, did the Ring of Skellig, Valencia Island and finally met my first bus going the opposite way near Cahersiveen,

I started in Kenmare and wanted to end the day shopping in Killarney- hence my decision to go against prevailing advice. Did not regret it.

8. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 02:05
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

Nice, lighten up.

The question isn't stupid. The first three answers were totally different. The 4th and 5th answers reinforced answer 3.

If you don't like the question don't post on it. Posting on TA is voluntary not compulsory.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ring of Kerry self drive-clockwise or counterclockwise

If I were to do it again, I would probably drive it myself. I would drive the same direction as the tour buses (anti-clockwise).

I did it with a tour in 2008, from what I remember it is rather narrow in certain spots, and I know when we passed a truck, there was very little space between the vehicles.

Get answers to your questions about Killarney
Recent Conversations