We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock of Cashel and other suggestions

Phoenix, Arizona
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rock of Cashel and other suggestions

We will be visiting Ireland in mid September this year with the following itinerary.

Day 1

Arrive Dublin pick up rental car and drive to Kilkenny for nice long lunch and walk around a bit, then on to Killarney dinner and BED!!

Killarney day 2 (first full day)

Jaunting car thru Gap of Dunloe, and Ross castle, or Muckross. early dinner

Day 3

Skellig Rock for day trip get back around 4 then dinner at local pub or if anyone can recommend a place that would be fantastic.

Day 4

Dingle Pennensula

Day 5

Drive to Galway

We really want to stop at Rock of Cashel on the way, will that work?

Midieval banquet dungaire castle

Day 6

Nothing planned. Any suggestions?

Day 7

Drive to Westport maybe go to Matt Malloys that night.

Day 8

rent bikes for the day

Day 9

Nothing planned any suggestions?

Day 10

Leave early for Dublin, depending on time will shop

Day 11

Fly home

Would love any ideas of must sees or great towns to visit.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,817 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock of Cashel and other suggestions

Well, I guess you could drive from the Dingle Peninsula to Galway via the Rock of Cashel, but it's out of the way.

It makes the most sense to see it between Kilkenny and Killarney, but you don't really have time to do it your first day (which borders on too much driving after what I assume is a transatlantic flight.). I would suggest you drive to Kilkenny your first day and stop. Have lunch, walk around town, visit Kilkenny Castle and some of the churches and stay the night. On day two, drive to the Rock of Cashel on your way to Killarney. Since your've got a couple of free days in your itinerary anyway, there's no need to rush to Killarney on your first day.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock of Cashel and other suggestions

I strongly disagree with ONE thing that longhorn74 said -- "you don't really have time to do it your first day (which borders on too much driving after what I assume is a transatlantic flight.). "

It doesn't border on Too Much -- It borders on INSANITY!

In mid-September, day-light hours will be shrinking. Stay in Kilkenny, visit Cashel enroute to Killarney.

The Gap of Dunloe tour starts about 10 AM and finishes, close to 5 PM. Doesn't really provide much opportunity to see Ross Castle OR Muckross.

The Skellig trip is HIGHLY weather-dependent and has STRICT space limitations.

Where are you planning to over-night after Killarney?

I can think of LOTS of sites along your route, but until you restructure, it's a waste to muddy the waters further.

Bob

Phoenix, Arizona
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock of Cashel and other suggestions

Ok sounds like a nite in Kilkenny is a good idea. Originally I had us stopping for a nite in Waterford but others complained about moving hotels so many times so I added a nite to Killarney and canceled Waterford. I have been worried about this as well so worst case scenario we can find a hotel for nite in Kilkenny when everyone finally understands what I've been saying all along. Please add any suggestions or things that I could change to make this a better trip.

4. Re: Rock of Cashel and other suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 05:16