We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Killarney

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Killarney

My husband and I will be visiting Ireland and will be in Killarney for 3 days at the end of June. We are looking for any advice about things to see and do while there. We're looking for any good photography opportunities, and we're also interested in hearing local music. (but really, any advice is welcome) We'll be staying at the Killarney Plaza Hotel and Spa. Thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Killarney

Jarvey car-cheesy but a must. Torc waterfall, Muckross house and farm. Trip through Gap on Dunloe and then the boat back down to Killarney .Murphys Icecream. Ross castle,hire bike and go into the park.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Killarney

When we're in that area, we plan to spend one day in/around Killarney national park and one day on the Ring of Kerry.

Poplar Bluff, MO
Level Contributor
3 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Killarney

We just returned from Ireland and spent two days in Killarney, which wasn't enough. Suggestions: Tour the Muckross Gardens, Walk up to the Torc Falls, Hang out on Main street for a while and have at least one meal at Quinlan's Seafood on Main Street. Even better have two. I swear the fish here must have been wiggling when they put it on to cook. Go to some of the pubs and hear some genuine Irish music. Many beautiful walks and drives. If we had had another day, I would have gone on a boat ride/fishing excursion on one of the lakes or at one of the ports. Since you are going to be right at the jumping off point of the Ring of Kerry that's certainly an option, although we drove around the Dingle Peninsula in lieu of the Ring of Kerry--can't do it all you know. I envy you. Of all the places we visited in two weeks in Scotland and Ireland, Killarney was my favorite port of call.

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Killarney

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to be there. :-)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Killarney

Just got back from Ireland, and agree with PBSpeakeasy. Two days in Killarney isn't enough. Places that are a must:

Ross Castle

Muckross Abbey

Muckross House and gardens

Torc waterfall

Ladies' view

Ring of Kerry

In Killarney itself, there are plenty of great shops, restaurants, and pubs. You must have Murphy's ice cream while there. Yum!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Killarney

We were in Killarney for four days in April and we certainly agree that it is a great base for touring the area. We were able to have a full and enjoyable day on each of the peninsulas (Dingle, Ring of Kerry and Beara) and had enough time to see the sites around Killarney (the Gap, Torc waterfall, Muckross, Ladies View, etc). We like staying right in town so that we can walk to pubs and restaurants in the evening.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Killarney

Words can't describe the photo opportunities you will have in this area.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Killarney

If you are very adventurous and in good physical shape, consider Skellig Michael which can be accessed via boats from Portmagee or Balinskellig at the southern parts of the Ring of Kerry. Very weather dependent. You must call morning of....well worth the effort!

Tampa
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Killarney

I was in Killarney two weeks ago at the Muckross Park Hotel & Spa. We enjoyed the Muckross house, the Abbey and a walk up to the Torc waterfall. The Ring of Kerry was breathtaking. We drove ourselves and were able to stop whenever something caught our eye, which was quite often. Ladies view and the Avoca shop are worth a stop. As well as the Kissane Sheepfarm. Really anywhere on the ring you see enough room to pullover do so!

I wandered around Killarney by myself and stumbled upon Murphy's too. I had the most outstanding coffee and icecream ever. Molly Darcy's was having Irish Music night, live band and dancers. Think its a summer thing on Tuesdays and Thursdays at most pubs. Do check and enjoy your travels!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Killarney

There are lots of things to do in the area. And generally Killarney is one big photo opportunity.

A number of locations have been mentioned and I apologise if I overlap - google image to see the places I mention

1. Muckross Abbey - Beautiful.

2. Muckross House and Gardens including The Boat House and if you go down by the lakeshore to the right of the house while facing the lake there is a lovely forested area and you can see lake cliffs.

3. Torc Waterfall

4. Ross Castle - but also Ross Island beside the castle. There are some old copper mines.

5. The old Church at Derrycunihy and the river/stream running by across the road. You can go down there via some steps.

6. Ladies View

7. The Black Valley leading to the Gap of Dunloe - this can also be accessed via foot or jaunting car at Kate Kearney's Cottage.

Going back in the other direction:

8. The viewing point in Aghadoe

9. The old graveyard in Aghadoe

10. The church in Fossa with its altar and windows behind it looking over the lake

11. For a good "people" shot visit Terence McSweeney at Kerry Crafted Glass http://www.irishkerryglass.com/

12. The Franciscan Church in Fair Hill

13. The Cathedral and the Famine Memorial

14. Mangerton Mountain

15. Eagles Nest Mountain (between Torc and Ladies View)

16. Killarney Book Shop on Main Street - this is the quirkiest bookshop I've ever been to and I've been to a lot of book shops :o)

Enjoy your visit.