We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Hello

We are going to drive from Killarney to Galway via the cliffs of moher at the end of July and have heard that there is a barge we can take to cut the drive down. Where is this barge located and at what times does it run? Thank you.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Barge? There is a ferry from Tarbert to Killimer across the mouth of the Shannon, I.m not sure it actually saves any time as you may have to wait a while for it, could be just as quick going through Limerick and sticking to main roads, but its a bit of different scenery.

cork
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

http://www.shannonferries.com/ferry-timetable-!2-cms.html

A link to the ferry schedule, one goes every hour. I would definitely get it rather than going through Limerick. It'll save you time and is a nicer driver.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Actually adds time but saves distance. If wanting to Explore South Clare then the ferry is a good option, if the only interest in the whole of Clare is 1/2 mile stretch of Cliff then the Tunnel is quicker and a whole lot cheaper.

PP it's a few years since you had to drive through Limerick and cross the bridge.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Depends on your reasoning, if you just want to save time then Limerick would be fastest as you might have to wait for the ferry, but for scenery and the interest of the ferry across the Shannon (you might see dolphins)I would take that route, also, as Tony says, there are better cliffs than the CoM in South Clare, I would recommend Loop Head over the cliffs anyday, no tourists, no fences,and you are allowed to crawl right to the edge of Europe if you have the nerve!!

Killimer
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

The Killimer-Tarbert Ferry (ShannonFerry) sails every 30 minutes in high season and takes 20 minutes (refreshment break). Your choice will be determined by whether you want to keep to the Atlantic Coast Line on Ireland's new "Wild Atlantic Way" in view (N69/N67) or go inland via Limerick and Ennis (N21/M18/N85).

cork
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Tunnel , what tunnel ? Only joking. Looks like my brain is permanently damaged by the memories of trying to get through Limerick and Ennis whilst heading West. You're spot on Tony, faster going through Limerick now with the tunnel. Still, if time wasn't a factor I'd take my ease and enjoy the ferry trip.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

Thing being that south Clare is sadly neglected and not a consideration for many doing the mad dash to from Galway city to from a tourist base in Kerry.

Killarney to Galway is 4 hours plus stops the quickest way unless native/local driven. The cliffs of Moher adds maybe 1/2 hour if you are just looking over the safety wall maybe an hour if you do the tower and visitors centre, Driving down to Loop Head and the many options down there adds at least 2 hours?

Might be a decision driven by the weather on the day?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

I enjoy using the ferry but there is a cost factor to be considerecd if you are on a tight budget. One way fare on the ferry is €19 compared to €1.90 toll for the tunnel

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

While I appreciate it's a slightly longer journey, I find that ferry quite expensive compared to other ones around the country. The Cork Harbour one is €5. The one across the Suir Estuary is €8. The one at Strangford Lough is £6.

10. Re: Driving Killarney to Galway - using a Barge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:19