We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

We will be in Kenmare for 3 nights. We are taking a bus tour of The Ring of Kerry on one of our days staying in Kenmare. We have another whole day in the area and we are deciding between spending it at Killarney National Park, Muckross House,Gap of Dunloe and all the things here (which sound great), OR driving the Dingle Pennisula and seeing Dingle (which sounds great too). If we pick the Dingle option, we will have only have a couple of hours the third morning to do Killarney National Park- before moving on to our next destination- Doolin. What would you do? Thanks so much for your advice and insights!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

One way to get it all in might be to do your Ring day, then on a second early departure day, do the Killarney National Park which includes sites such as you mentioned (do some reading about what's in the park). This can be less involving if you choose than the Ring of Kerry which presumes a longer day, and get you easily enough to Dingle are that second night with a third night there as well, before moving on to points north.

I'm not saying this is what you should do as moving quickly through great sites is never optimal, but it can work for what you've suggested as your goals with very little other information provided. I might add that if you plan to keep up such a pace throughout the whole trip, you save some of it for another visit, leaving more spaces in at least a few days in a smaller here and there.

Much of this is difficult to advise on as we cannot tell if you are driving in any or none of this, which makes a big difference.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 15:21
Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

We are driving and so we have some flexibility. I thank you for your advice. It is appreciated.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

If you're in Kenmare and don't drive the Ring of Beara you would be missing what I believe to be the best of the Rings. There are several ways to do it. Personally, I like to drive it clockwise which would involve driving down to Glengarriff, then to Adrigole, Castletownebere and up to Allihies and Eyeries, then to Ardmoor and back to kenmare. No tour buses and wild scenery and wonderful small towns.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

Both are beautiful and worthy of a full day, so this is a hard one. Looking at the itinerary you previously posted and assuming it hasn't changed, you have a lot of "one-night" stops with this one - Kenmare - being your longest at 3 nights. So this should be a stop to do a bit of breathing.

The Ring of Kerry is a very long day. Dingle Peninsula from Kenmare would be another long day. IMO, I would skip Dingle (as much as I hate to say it) and do Killarney National Park and its environs. It is closer, would be more relaxing, and give you a much needed break from driving. The park is lovely to wander in, walk to the Abbey, see Torc Waterfall, head over to Ross Castle (the tour is very interesting.)

Edited: 05 July 2013, 16:48
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

In a shorter stay, as it seems you have, I would not do all (though each is wonderful) THREE "cycle tours" of (clockwise high season vote as well) Ring of Kerry, Beara and Dingle Penisulas in one trip back to back to back saving Beara for another trip. This leaves the Doolin area intact-which you stated as a personal choice-with its many lovely and famed surrounding villages and natural as well as ancient area wonders. I'd also stay in Fanore's Orchid House (for seaside beauty and best access to all in the overall area) over Doolin proper anytime.

Oh, these choices can drive one crazy!

Edited: 05 July 2013, 17:41
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

Do the National Park etc or Beara. You can detour round the top peninsula on the way to Doolin as a constructive day trip.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

Thank-you so much for all of your advice. It is very much appreciated! :)

8. Re: Full day at Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe or Dingle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:18