We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to killarney

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
getting to killarney

I will be traveling in England and then joining a Road Scholar tour group in Killarney. The tour group are flying into Shannon airport from the US, transferring by private coach to Killarney. They leave Shannon at 9 am. In searching the airline schedules, it seems that the only one that arrives early enough to join the group is a Ryanair from Stansted, arriving Shannon at 855am. That involves a lengthy trip from central London to Stansted at quite an early hour. Does that make sense?

Alternately, if I don't join my group for the transfer into Killarney, what is the best city in Ireland to fly into from London? It seems that there is no direct service from Shannon to Killarney. If I don't join my group at Shannon, there's no need for me to use that as my fly-in city, so I'm looking for a better alternative with a direct path to Killarney.

Many thanks,

Dianne

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to killarney

Why not fly in to Shannon the day before and stay locally, meeting the group in the morning?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to killarney

Your best bet is to fly directly to Kerry Airport, which is 20 mins drive from Killarney

Ryanair fly from London-Luton with and early morning service or London-Stansted with a mid-afternoon service.

If that doesn't suit, the best option would be to fly to Cork (From Stansted or Gatwick with Ryanair or Heathrow with Aer Lingus). However, you'd have to factor in 2 hours by public transport to get from Cork Airport to Killarney (bus to Cork City Centre and then train or bus), so even if the mid-afternoon flight wasn't perfect, it would still probably beat the transfer from Cork.

Shannon is about 3 hours by public transport from Killarney

Edited: 05 July 2013, 17:00
3. Re: getting to killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:18