We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

My sister and I (mid 30s) will be flying in/out of Kerry and staying for 2 days. We're thinking of spending one day touring the Dingle Peninsula (with a tour group and if we have time we'd like to do the touristy dolphin bit) and one day around Killarney. Any recommendations on tour companies and places to stay since we will be on foot?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

Killarney is the best touring base for County Kerry and there are day tours available which include the Dingle peninsula..having two bases will involve a lot extra bus travel just getting too/from Dingle. http://derostours.com/new/

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

If you're using public transport, you really only have 2 choices - Killarney & Tralee. If you're bringing in a tour group and a visit to Killarney, then Killarney itself is definitely the best option.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

If you want to do Dingle then stay there for the entire trip. This service will help with you getting to and from the airport but I have heard reports of them being expensive if you are the only 2 traveling. http://www.dingleshuttlebus.com/shuttle.html

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

Killarney would be a good base for you. We actually just took 2 of Deros day tours and would recommend them both. They are located right on main street. We took the Ring of Kerry tour and the Dingle Pennisula tour. Each took from 10:30 to 5:30. Both were beatutiful! One of my highlights from the Ring of Kerry tour was the sheepdog demonstration- lots of fun! On the Dingle tour, they take you to Slea Head- spectacular! They also give you a full hour in Dingle itself to explore around. They also do a Gap of Dunloe tour, but I did not take that one, so I cant comment. You can book them on-line.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

Without a car I would stay in Killarney and take a day trip or two , it will be a struggle to get down to Dingle and then you will be stuck.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

I would recommend staying in Killarney; I think it's more centrally located. We stayed at the Killarney Park Hotel, but there are several well-rated hotels on TripAdvisor in Killarney. I also recommend using Jack Hayden of Killarney Taxi (killarneytaxi.com) for day trips and customized tours. See my post about my recent experience with Killarney Taxi at:

tripadvisor.ie/…51565074

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

Yes, I agree that getting to Dingle can be a bother especially if you do not want to pay for the shuttle bus from the airport. However, I think you do have lots of options to keep you busy on a short visit including various land and water tours from Dingle Town. http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/tours.html

8. Re: 2 days in County Kerry with no car- where to stay and what t

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Killarney
Recent Conversations