We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry or Dingle

new york, ny
Level Contributor
461 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry or Dingle

I will be in Killarney for 2 days in the second week of October. I will have a car. One of those days I would like to visit either Ring of Kerry or Dingle. Which do you recommend? If Ring of Kerry, in which direction should we travel?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,138 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

Both will be lovely.

Drive the Ring of Kerry anticlockwise.

If driving the ROK take a look at the following attractions which are "off" the Ring but well worth visiting - these are must-sees for me:

Rossbeigh Beach - beyond Glenbeigh

Valentia Island - accessible via a bridge at Portmagee

Skelligs Chocolate Factory in St Finian's Bay. Incredible chocolate in an incredible setting http://www.skelligschocolate.com/

Ballinskelligs Bay (google image it - its beautiful. How often will you see a castle on a beach?)

Derrynane House and Tropical Gardens heritageireland.ie/en/…

These are all in order for an anti-clockwise journey.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

Both are lovely. Drive RoK whichever way suits you. We did it clockwise from Killarney and enjoyed having the sea next to us without having a lane of traffic between us and the views.

Killarney
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

What are your interests?

Both are similar but Dingle has more living culture for me than RoK because of the locals speaking Irish. But I do agree with the previous tips for Rossbeigh, Valentia and Skellig chocolates.

The main thing is to do 1 and savour it. Weather is also a major factor, where are you staying?

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

I've just returned from Ireland and was faced with this same decision. We stayed in Killarney for 3 nights.

I chose the Dingle Peninsula because the guide books say it is 30km around and the Ring of Kerry is 120km around. Believe me, what looks like it is close on a map....takes twice as long to reach as one would expect. The day we did the Peninsula was probably the best weather during the entire 10 days we were there, but it still wasn't an easy "pop over to see the sights" type of day. Considering it took about an hour or so to get to the town of Dingle, lunch in a Dingle Pub, and then a somewhat leisurely drive around - we were gone all day!

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

I lived in the area for 14 years. The Ring of Kerry is beautiful but I think Dingle is more beautiful as it did not lose its old world charm and the coastline is one your eyes will never forget. The town of Dingle is cute too. You will enjoy your trip no matter which direction the wind blows you. It is a beautiful country but just make sure you understand your rental car policy and that your insurance is included in the rate because they try to rip you off at the desk when purchasing insurance. Enjoy!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

If I had to choose it would be Dingle for me

Bourne...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

We just did both. Can't go wrong with either but we preferred Dingle. Make sure you allow enough time for a stroll around Dingle. Take Conor Pass on your return to Killarney!

http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/conor.html

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

The Slea Head drive from Dingle is magnificent. We also had perfect weather for it. We didn't do the complete ROK but nothing we saw there was as jaw-dropping gorgeous as Slea Head.

Boston, ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

Here in Kilarney now and just back from Dingle and. Time is not your friend when you plan too much and it gets dark by 7 pm. We loved the slea head drive and we went to the top of Conor's pass and back down again vs going across to the other side and the view although windy at the top was wonderful. Leaving for Galway tomorrow but not before I see Torc waterfall, Molls pass, and Ladies view( my abbreviated version of ROK)

Whatever you see you will want more so enjoy what you can and promise yourself a return trip. We also late yesterday had a very nice juanting car ride at 6 pm with a horse named Ben and a charming young man named Hilary out to Ross castle along the lakes and we saw a magnificent stag right in front if us. Have a wonderful time and hope the beautiful weather continues for you...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ring of Kerry or Dingle

Glad you enjoyed Dingle. If you will be at Molls Gap the Avoca shop has a lovely café

Get answers to your questions about Killarney