We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Dear TA experts, my husband and I are on vacation in Ireland now. We wish we do not have a rental car. Our vacation has turned out to be a test of our nerves and marriage. We have been in Ireland for 5 days. The only times we felt relaxed are when we took O'connour Bus tour to Dingle and ROK. Tomorrow we will be leaving Killarney and driving our rental car to Kilkenny to spend a night there. Can any one suggest a less nerve wrecking route for this stretch? We drove from Dublin via Cork to Killarney a few days ago. The stretch between Cork and Killarney is certainly not a breeze to drive. I am wondering whether We should drive to Kilkenny via Limerick. Is Killarney to Limerick a better route to drive? When should we be on the road in order to avoid heavy traffic? We really hate to slow down the traffic and have to constantly pull over. We have no idea how fast people drive in Ireland. We are so looking forward to going home. Vacationing in Ireland with a car has been a nightmare. Please help save our sanity. Thank you in advance.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

The N72 is a good mainly straightish road there will be ample places for people to pass you or for you to pull in and let any trailing traffic past.. Normally you would be expected to drive at around 50mph/ 80kph on these roads.

We are used to Tractors and the like on these roads as well so fleck everyone else and do your own thing.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

The N72 isn't the worst, although there are a few tricky bends. The problem is the N73, which you take from Mallow to Mitchelstown. Instead of taking that, you could stay on the N72 as far as Fermoy and pick up the M8 there.

If you're struggling with driving in Ireland, avoid the R691 from Cashel to Kilkenny. It is a very poor road.

The alternatives are to stay on the M8 as far as Urlingford and use the R693 or to leave the M8 early at Cahir and use the N24 and N76.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

So, Italyfan, hopefully you have now completed your journey. The weather was not great and you made it! Well done, take a bow and treat yourseves to a glass of Powers.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Hello, my dear TA friends, We MADE it! Thank you all for your advice and kindness. We left Killarney at 10:00am as advised to avoid traffic and we took the most direct route going through Mallow, Mitchelstown, Cahir, Cashel , then R693 to Kilkenny. It was a good day indeed. We only had to pull over 12 times for the cars to pass. R693 is narrow but manageable. The stretch between Killarney to Mitchelstown is Not bad at all due to the light traffic and descent roads. We felt so silly worrying ourselves to death over this stretch. We are glad that we took N72/73 instead of N22 because N22 is much busier than N72/73. We were less nervous knowing that there were not that many cars trailing behind us. We felt so relieved when we arrived in Kilkenny at 3:30pm. I hope all of you know how much I appreciate your help and taking time to respond to my question. I thank you all wonderful people from the bottom of my heart! :)

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Was it as bad as you thought in the end? Are you still dying to go home?!

Did you go on the M8 motorway or stick on the local roads the whole way?

Enjoy the rest of your trip

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

As an "Italyfan" as your name suggests - you've obviously never driven in Italy!

Driving in Ireland is a piece of cake in comparison.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

So proud of you!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
772 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

I can totally sympathise with your stress. I've lived in Ireland for 8 years but had to drive to dublin airport a few weeks ago when the weather forecast said torrential down pours and flooding. I was stressed. Asked on this forum and got great support to drive and happy I did. Of course weather report was wrong and only bad for 5 miles or so. Glad your trip to kilkenny was good!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,353 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Glad things worked out. The best bits of Ireland aren't on motorways though!

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Driving route from Killarney to Kilkenny for nervous drivers

Hello, dear TA friends,

We flew back home from Dublin a couple days ago. Thank you all again for the wonderful support and helpful advices I received during our time of stress and anxiety. In hindsight, I think we should have done rail and tours after all. Luckily we joined the coach tours for Dingle and ROK otherwise we would have ended up screaming at each other the whole time or who knows I might have passed out at some narrow roads. Ireland is beautiful indeed and for this reason, we opted to drive ourselves. But for people like us who are not used to drive on the left and narrow roads, I think leaving the driving to others would be a more enjoyable experience. To be fair, Irish roads are well signposted which give warnings to all bends and tricky driving conditions. And Irish drivers are polite in general even though they can really manage to drive fast on narrow roads. My husband and I were so amazed at the driving skills demonstrated here in Ireland.( Yes, in Italy too.) Of course, our driving was handicapped psychologically due to the lack of confidence and fear of unfamiliarity. All in all, we love Ireland: a medieval wonderland, beautiful landscapes and most of all, the warmth and kindness of its people. We will be back soon. To all of you who were there for us offering suggestions, advices and most of all, your sympathetic concern, we say a big thank you. It was a great comfort when you know you can count on people giving you support even though you have never even met them before. It is a wonderful feeling indeed. You all made our trip as well!:) You were there with us! Thank you soooo.. Much.