We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney day trips - pick two of three

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney day trips - pick two of three

My wife and I are planning a 13 day vacation to Ireland (first timers) and will be staying in Killarney three nights but only two full days in May (traveling in from Adare on day one and towards Kilkenney - with stop at Rock of Cashel, after last night). We will have a car. Which two of these three options would you choose. ROK, Gap of Dunloe, Dingle Peninsula? Does the answer stay the same rain or shine? Is it feasible to drive from Killarney through the Dingle Peninsula, see the sights, and still have time to golf nine holes at CastleGregory? Thank you.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,302 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney day trips - pick two of three

All three are lovely. Its a bit like asking to decide between a chocolate truffle, a champagne truffle and an Irish cream truffle!!

Yes, it is possible to drive to Dingle, do a Dingle ring and play 9 holes in Castlegregory. Leave early. Its an hour from Killarney to Dingle via Inch. It takes about 2 hours or so to drive the Dingle Ring and then you can take another hour to get to Castlegregory via the Conor Pass. So allowing yourself some down time, if you were to leave Killarney at 9am latest and plan to be in Castlegregory by 3, I think you will be fine.

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney day trips - pick two of three

Thanks Bean. Nice analogy to truffles. I get it!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney day trips - pick two of three

Ooh this is a tough one, and I'm sure you will get different opinions. My choices given half decent weather would be Gap of Dunloe and Dingle peninsula, the main reason being that both of these are a bit less hectic than the RoK, which will take 8 hours with stops for lunch, photos etc. you can have a much more leisurely tour of the Dingle peninsula if you concentrate on the lovely Slea Head drive, and likewise the Gap. In terms of weather, really heavy rain and mist will affect all three equally, but that would be bad luck - the weather in Kerry is very changeable, you are unlikely to experience a morn til dusk downfall, and May is a lovely month to visit, with longer days, wild flowers in bloom and hopefully mild temperatures.

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney day trips - pick two of three

Ms. Riley, your thoughts are well appreciated. A leisurely approach is preferred when available, but sadly I would miss a stop at Skelligs Chocolate Factory in St Finian's Bay. Ouch!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,302 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney day trips - pick two of three

:o) Their chocolate is lovely. I ration myself throughout the year.

I gave my Mum a container of their Christmas Pudding truffles for Christmas (in among a hamper of other goodies). She was effulgent about them.....

6. Re: Killarney day trips - pick two of three

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:31