We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

My husband and I reserved stay ay Killarney Park Hotel at beginning of April for 2 nights. We are concerned with reviews of area calling it "very" touristy. Any advice on if this is the best decision for that area will be appreciated.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

We stayed at Friar Glen B&B near Killarney National Park. Quiet, off the main road, first-class operation. I'd stay away from the big tourist hotels if you have the option for a more intimate, friendly accommodation.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,628 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Depends on the context, I suppose. Killarney is a tourist destination. For good reason. Not to rehash the whole "what is a tourist trap?" thread going on elsewhere on the forum lol.

What are you hoping to see in the area?

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,265 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Was it Rick Steves who said it was very touristy?

Killarney is a working town, full of locals but which also attracts tourists. In April you will find that the majority of people you encounter are likely to be Irish. Obviously, because you are staying in a hotel, they will be Irish away from home - i.e. Irish Tourists. But tourists nevertheless. Because locals rarely stay in hotels in their locality.

Killarney is big enough for everyone. And any of us who don't live in Killarney and who visit are tourists!!

You will enjoy your stay, I can assure you. And you will be bowled over by the scenery.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

If you want to see out the "Kiss me I'm Oirish" (Made in China) toursist tat, then yes, there is some in Killlarney, if you want "Aran Jumpers" also made in China and pubs with music that only tourists would want ,yes that can be had too. BUT, if you want to mix with locals, buy Irish made goods, explore the national park and find your own private bits, you can do that easily as well.

In other words, it's as touristy as you decide you want it to be. The Killarney Park has a great location, private parking and good food.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Killarney is a tourist town and that's a very good hotel. Would you like a cheaper option?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Would you not visit N.Y., D.C., or L.V. because someone called it "very touristy"? No, those are places that draw tourist because there is a lot to see and do. Killarney has so much to offer, i.e. some of the most beautiful scenery in all of Ireland. Where else can you ride a horse and trap through a mountain pass (Gap of Dunloe) or to visit a restored castle (Ross)

Do not be concerned about the Killarney Park Hotel. It is very nice and convenient to everything you will want to see and do in and around Killarney.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 15:34
United States
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Thanks everyone...

We are trying to make best of our two days in the area and definately realize there can be a lot to offer in a town that attracts visitors/ "tourists". Yes, the cost of The Killarney Park Hotel is a bit of a concern. Looking for ideas for comparable experiences, could be quant B&B's or larger hotels that might shave some of the cost off. We booked the Killarney Park after deciding not to go with Sheen Falls Lodge but still unsure of the decision.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

In Killarney, this is my hotel of choice.

www.evistonhouse.com/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

We like the Brook Lodge Hotel.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Killarney Park Hotel

Randles Court is a good choice,too, a little further out than the Killarney Park though, but nice old world feel, own parking and on the road to Muckross.