We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

Folsom, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

As part of a much longer trip, I have 9 nights between Waterford and the Antrim Coast and I'm having a hard time deciding on a few places to base ourselves. There are 9 of us, 3 parents, 4 kids (ages 7-16) and 2 grandparents (they often move faster than the rest of us.) We will have 2 cars. This is our first time in Ireland so everything is new to us. We don't mind doing the tourist stuff and we don't mind slowing down. It seems like we should do ROK and/or Dingle or Beara. After that I'm having trouble. My old self before kids would wing it and I can't do that with 9 of us so please help with some good bases along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,083 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

It would be great if you could contextualise the trip please.

Are you flying in to Waterford and out of Belfast? If you are then you will have a surcharge on hiring a car in the Waterford (Republic of Ireland) and returning it in Northern Ireland (UK).

And what are members of your group interested in?

And are the younger members of the group girls or boys?

Also, what time of the year are you visiting? For example if you are here in the last two weeks in August, Tralee will be very busy with the Rose of Tralee Festival. If you are here at the end of July, Galway will be very busy with the Galway Races.

In terms of the ROK or Dingle or Beara, nobody should do anything here. Only go to certain areas if you think you'd like them.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

With only 9 nights I would draw a line from Cork to Derry and concentrate East of that line.. either that or start not in Waterford but Kerry.. You cannot (comfortably) cover the whole island in 9 days no mater what the Irish tourist board tells you

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Derry
Derry
County Londonderry, UK
Waterford
Waterford
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Folsom, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

Thank you for your quick replies. We will be in Waterford after Dublin and renting a car there. (And we are going to Waterford because my mom really wants to go there.) Before Dublin we will have been in Wales, England and Scotland. The car will be rented and returned in Dublin. Our 9 nights that I am trying to figure out are July 13-22. After that we have some time planned in N. Ireland and will fly home from Dublin. The kids are 4 girls. I love the coast, we love the outdoors walks and trails are great but no serious hiking for this vacation. We love history, museums, and really just love seeing new places.

We don't want to be moving every day. From Waterford I guess I'm looking for a 3 night or so base for ROK area and then from there maybe 2 more areas to base ourselves for a few nights each on the way to the Antrim coast area.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
England
England
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

If you are in Scotland why not coach and sail to Belfast and take trips from There for the Northern section. Then drop to Dublin and start from your tour of the south. 9 days gives you only 3x3 so be practical and let your head rule your Heart.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
5. Re: Itinerary between Waterford and Antrim Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:17