We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

My wife and I will be driving the ROK from Killarney either May 14 or 15. We plan on leaving before the tour buses around 8:30 and would like to be back in Killarney before 18:00. We are 50 and semi-active. What are the recommended stops along the way for best photo opportunities (natural, cultural or historical), and lunch? Are there proper places along the ROK to stop and park for photos without disturbing traffic? Thank you.

Killarney Tour & Taxi Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Deros Coach Tours
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Atlantic Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Outdoors Ireland
Kayaking & Canoeing, Climbing Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Lessons & Workshops
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

Yes, there are lots of places to pull in.

In terms of where to pull in, generally anywhere that is safe and looks beautiful (most places!!)

I would suggest you consider going "off" the ring and visit the following places:

Rossbeigh Beach - badly damaged during the winter storms so you may have to park a little away. But it is still spectacularly beautiful.

Kells Bay

Valentia Island (accessible via a bridge at Portmagee). Make sure you see the Slate Mine at the end of the island.

St Finian's Bay and Skelligs Chocolate Factory (the chocolate is DIVINE!!) http://skelligschocolate.com/

Ballinskelligs Bay - It has its own island with a castle. However the castle was damaged during the winter storms.

Derrynane House and Tropical Garden heritageireland.ie/en/…

Google image these places to see what I am talking about !!

But the whole area is really beautiful These listed are just my favourite places.

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Is this entire itinerary capable of being performed in about 10 hours?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

There is a small, short ferry to Valencia Island, just beyond Cahersiveen that brings you into Knightstown. From there, you can explore the island and then take the Causeway Bridge back, at Portmagee. http://www.valentiaisland.ie/

THAt leads you to the 'Skellig Ring', which you follow down to Ballinskelligs. From there, follow the R566 to the R567 -- which will return you to the Ring of Kerry, just above Waterville.

http://www.hiddenkerry.com/tourist/ring/

Here's a sample tour: toursbylocals.com/Valentia-SkelligRingTour

Some sites: theringofkerry.com/cahergal-leacanabuaile-fo…

http://www.theringofkerry.com/staigue-fort

www.theringofkerry.com/kenmare-stone-circle

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

Bean, when coming back to the ROK from the Skellig Ring, do we miss much if we take the 567 rather than the 566?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

DaMoor, we take the R567 and the scenery is lovely. You will actually see more by going on the R567 than on the R566.

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

Thank you remprimo for the links. Some very interesting options.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

You CAN of course, take longer, but I've covered the route, with MANY stops, in 8-10 hours.

The 'Grotto' on Valencia was a surprising favorite.

Buses do NOT cover either Valencia OR the Skellig Ring.

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

Thank you both. This looks like a plan!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

We ate lunch in Portmagee in a cozy little pub facing the water, can't remember the name. The seafood chowder had chunks of fish fillet that were huge! A bit much for us, actually, but fun to try. Also, did anyone mention the Skellig experience? You might not have time but it's across the water from Portmagee and is quite interesting to visit. Don't miss the chocolate factory!

Brownstown...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend stops for ROK in a day out of Killarney

I was thinking that somewhere in the Skellig Penisula would be a good break for lunch. Chunky seafood chowder sounds right up our alley. Thank you for the suggestion.