We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

killarney trip

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
killarney trip

We will be visiting Ireland for out first time in March 2015. We will be driving from Rosslare to Killarney, hopefully to visit the np on our first day. We have booked Kenmare for 3 nights, if we can will see Killarney NP in the afternoon, it will leave us two free days. We have 3 options:- The Dingle Pen. The ring of Kerry or the Beara Pen. It would appear trying to do the three is out of the question so would appreciate some advise.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: killarney trip

Hi there, what time is your ferry arriving in Rosslare? It is quite a long journey to Killarney, four or five hours if you dont want to stop and sightsee. Are you bringing a car across or hiring in Rosslare?

One word of caution, we once came Pembroke/Rosslare intending on driving straight down to Dingle and DH was so seasick we had to stop at a Band B for a night about 50 miles from the port!! It can happen.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: killarney trip

Beara is the closest to Kenmare as to drive the ring you should go round via Killarney.. Personally Beara always gets my vote as being the most rugged and most scenic mile for mile... You don't have to drive 3/4 the peninsular to get to the scenic part and you can experience most of the good parts without having to get off the main road.

…activeboard.com/t50006301/…

http://www.bearatourism.com/

http://www.gouganebarra.com/

http://www.gleninchaquin.com/

http://www.bonaneheritagepark.com/

and others

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: killarney trip

Actually we are arriving in Dublin airport,pick up our hire vehicle at 12.30 staying two nights at Rossalare. Hope to have a look at Glendalough on the way down. The following day we thought we would visit Cashel & Waterford. I think we can get breakfast at the B&B from 7.30 then will make our way to Killarney.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: killarney trip

Thank you. It appears that we will not be disappointed if we skip Ring of Kerry. I think I read Dingle pen. is better than Ring of Kerry so hope to hear confirmation of that.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: killarney trip

Ah, the only reason I could think for being in Rosslare was the ferry!!.

Personally I rate the three peninsulas 1)Dingle 2)Beara and 3) RoK.

But the road across from Bantry to Kenmare and then to Killarney is stunning, and often missed if you only go round the peninsulas.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: killarney trip

"I think I read Dingle pen. is better than Ring of Kerry so hope to hear confirmation of that" The thing with being a visitor over being a tourist is, that as a visitor you experience a place see the places that tourists race by because its not written/reported about by hoards of other tourists.. Unfortunately some forums are heavily biased towards certain places or worse still certain towns in certain places and unfortunately that trend is spreading to the point where information is becoming of little value...

The Ring of Kerry as a tour bus route is not the most spectacular mile by mile if you compare to the 2 key points on Dingle,, Slea Head and Connor Pass.. But as myself and a couple of others recommend you need to get off piste and see the places the tour bus's don't go/can't get.. if you want the most of it.. Bean A is the one to seek out for the Iveragh Peninsula Ring of Kerry.

For Dingle, Harvey has an excellent piece which should be given credit.. For Beara I have linked one of the best forum posts within another less spectacular one.

You will no doubt make up your own mind although with Queensland as a home base the spectacle might not be quite as rose tinted ..

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: killarney trip

Thank you, will keep that in mind.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: killarney trip

Thank you will keep that in mind! For us March will be cold but will have good warm weatherproof clothing. We are hoping it won' t be so busy! Yes Queensland is beautiful especially where we live 45 minutes from the coast near Fraser Island, but we visited England & Scotland 20 years ago & there is a different kind of beauty over your way

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: killarney trip

Noticed you are based in Loughrea. We will be spending two nights at Doolin after Kenmare. After Doolin we are going to Bundoran for two nights as we thought we would like to visit Slieve League. Can you suggest the best way to go from Doolin to Bundoran & scenic spots. Reading that Connemara appears geared to walking. We will be 73 & 69 & although fit for our age not geared for ( or enough time) for hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: killarney trip

Hi Carolyn,

I prefer Kerry during the winter months. Less tourists, more wild, stark beauty. And you are more likely to catch a storm which makes the sea fabulous. However some places will be closed.

The Ring of Kerry or the Iveragh Peninsula is lovely. But as Tony has said, the best bits of the Ring of Kerry are actually "off" the Ring.

Ladies View, Torc Waterfall, Muckross House Gardens and Muckross Abbey are all open throughout the year and free to visit. They are on the N71 between Kenmare and Killarney and are very much worth seeing. The scenery on the N71 is really spectacular and you will often see deer on this road, particularly at dusk, so just watch out for them and try and avoid colliding with them!!

Rossbeigh Beach is beyond Glenbeigh (drive to the end of the village and take a right turn). It was badly damaged during last winter's exceptional storms. All going well I will be there again over Hallow'een so I can report on how it is (although I am sure there will be others there ahead of me!!)

Cahergall Fort is outside Cahersiveen (Cahergall means town of the foreigners) and is signposted.

Valentia Island is accessible via a bridge at Portmagee. Take a look at the Atlantic Cable monument, up the hill and to the left of the Island as you exit the bridge. And the Slate Grotto and Mine at the other end of the island.

Skelligs Chocolates will sadly be closed. http://skelligschocolate.com/ But if you can pick up some of their chocolates in a shop do. They are totally delicious.

Ballinskelligs Bay has its own castle on an island - again damaged by the exceptional storms of last winter. Google image it to see how totally gorgeous it is.

Near Waterville is the Ballaghisheen Pass (Way of Oisin). Its a stark drive through the centre of the peninsula. Narrow roads rising up. But stark beauty.

Derrynane House will be closed but the area around it is lovely.

Is it possible to visit all three? Yes, if you are not going too far away on the last day. I would suggest you reposition for night 3 to Dingle. Do the Dingle drive and then head on to where you are going. The Dingle drive can be done in a morning.